sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 18, 2022 5:05 pm  #1

John Oakley's Show Goes Off - And On - And Off The Rails On AM640

What a horrible afternoon for John Oakley's show on AM640 Wednesday - and it had nothing to do with the content. The broadcaster went on the air at 3 PM from his home studio and immediately disappeared seconds later when the connection was lost. 

They quickly cut to commercials, came back with a pre-recorded interview, then finally re-established contact. But that wasn't the end of this sudden vanishing act. The signal cut out at least four more times over the next two hours, sometimes in the middle of an interview, often leaving the guests hanging. The generic Global filler music was played over and over and over as they attempted to re-established contact, and most of the time it came back quickly. 

But the constant interruptions made for something of a hash of the whole afternoon. I have to say I feel sorry for the board op, who had to constantly be on the alert for a talent that was there one second and gone the next. Unlike music radio, where you can just start another tune, there's no back-up for a talk show host who's there one second and gone the next. 

I point this out only because I've been incredibly impressed with how well this technology has worked over the last two years-plus of the pandemic. But boy, when it fails, it's really noticeable. And Wednesday's show was one of the worst failures I've ever heard.

May 18, 2022 5:42 pm  #2

Re: John Oakley's Show Goes Off - And On - And Off The Rails On AM640

Get back to the studio. 

May 18, 2022 5:56 pm  #3

In the end, they had to scrap "Topics Worthy Of Discussion" and air generic reroll interviews instead. One of them was dumped mid-way through a sentence to go to a series of spots, which is a real disservice to listeners. Yeah, it was a full-on disaster, especially for such an important daypart.  

May 19, 2022 3:44 pm  #4

This is unfeasible. Same technological breakdown as yesterday.  Amanda Cupido must allow Oakley back to the studio.

May 19, 2022 3:45 pm  #5

Agree with 67GreenRambler.  His line went down right in the middle of a listener's call on Thursday. They dumped to filler music, some ads and then a reroll of an old interview that contained no reference to why he suddenly disappeared. 

Whatever is going on with his home line back to the station is in danger of becoming a chronic - and very embarrassing - problem. So they either need to get him back to Corus Quay ASAP or fix this before the show goes live again next Tuesday. 

You can't have a Toronto afternoon drive show sounding so terrible for two days in a row.

May 19, 2022 5:12 pm  #6

I wonder why they wouldn't invest in redundancy Internet connections for his home? A bunch of my buddies who work in IT or occupations like stockbrockers (where lost downtime is literally money) opt to have, say, both Rogers Cable-based and Bell Fibre-based connections, frequently reimbursed (both - or at least one of them in full) by the employer. The idea is "no single point of failure". There are specific devices/routers that can switch between one or the other connections feeding the laptop or whatever device within seconds if one loses ping - but even if one doesn't invest in those, one can manually toggle over to the alternate connection.

For a major market's afternoon drive show, pretty shocking they might rely on a single, apparently flaky, Internet connection (or crashing laptop/application?). Amateur.