sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 18, 2022 11:17 pm  #1

Sportsnet Crosses The Line: Betting Ads Disguised As Commentary

https://twitter.com/MarkConnollyCBC/status/1527118432931483648?t=kBwykSCXTH2P2Y7VpRxaAw&s=19

Saw the first part of this segment tonight myself during the Stanley Cup playoffs and was disappointed and turned to another station, the "commentary" felt skeevy and sketchy. Even the two dudes fronting the bit looked a bit self conscious.

I know times are tough but does Sportsnet really have to sink so so low. You bet your job at Sportsnet it does.

Last edited by betaylored (May 18, 2022 11:21 pm)

May 19, 2022 1:15 am  #2

Re: Sportsnet Crosses The Line: Betting Ads Disguised As Commentary

I know both Sportsnet and TSN just started doing this, but I'm already getting sick of not only the betting ads, but also betting appearing as content within their broadcasts. It feels so gross. 

May 19, 2022 2:10 am  #3

I believe it's called "branded content."

May 19, 2022 7:50 am  #4

ED1 wrote:

I know both Sportsnet and TSN just started doing this, but I'm already getting sick of not only the betting ads, but also betting appearing as content within their broadcasts. It feels so gross. 

Totally agree .. it feels so slimy; like "Pay Day Loans".  The commercials are bad, the in-broadcast intermission "odds segments" are worse.  We're starting to channel flip.   It's not only all the gambling content, it's also the flood of Crypto adverts.  It's a tsunami of trolling to find more suckers & bleed them of their money. 

May 19, 2022 9:03 am  #5

Nobody on this board should be shocked at this and I'll go farther and say that every broadcaster I know has seen similar things done for money in the past. Everybody sold out long ago so stop clutching your pearls.

May 21, 2022 4:02 am  #6

The real problem here is that my local bar won't let the portal open.
I don't understand why it doesn't work. Sportsnet promotes it heavily. I was looking forward to seeing it live in person. 
There must be something wrong with my phone. 

Last edited by Radiowiz (May 21, 2022 4:07 am)

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

June 16, 2022 1:37 pm  #7

Former sportscaster Dave Hodge weighs in on this with The Athletic - and he's not happy. 

“It’s prostitution of what should be valuable time — especially on ‘Hockey Night in Canada’ — to do what that show is supposed to do,” said Hodge. “And this isn’t what it’s supposed to do.”

"Scott Moore saw this coming. He is the former president of Sportsnet, and in remarks made to a sports business conference in Toronto last fall, he cautioned broadcast executives against overwhelming their non-betting viewers with content designed around gambling.

“It’s an interesting challenge, because there’s so much sponsorship and advertising dollars to be made right now,” Moore said in an interview. “It would take a very disciplined approach to say ‘no’ to it when you’ve come through a couple of years of lean advertising markets.”

How Sportsnet embraced sports betting ads, and how long they’ll bombard your TV

June 16, 2022 8:43 pm  #8