sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 9, 2022 7:19 pm  #1

Alex Pierson A No-Show On Her Own Show On AM640

For the past two weeks, fill-in host Angela Kokott was reminding listeners to 640's On Point show that Alex Pierson would be back this week. But Monday's show began and Rubina Ahmed-Haq was in her place instead and will remain there until at least Tuesday.

There was no explanation of where Pierson might be or when she's returning, despite being off for over a month suffering from burnout. I enjoy her show, because she asks pertinent questions of fairly interesting guests and keeps things moving along at a brisk clip. It's not a good sign that after all this time and rest, she's still not back and there's no confirmation of when she will be. 

Unlike the mysterious disappearance of Ryan Doyle on CFRB a while back, all the fill-ins say they're "In for Alex," which hopefully means she will, in fact, be returning sooner than later.

May 9, 2022 7:23 pm  #2

Re: Alex Pierson A No-Show On Her Own Show On AM640

Is she still doing whatever it is she does at the Sun?

May 9, 2022 7:28 pm  #3

Are you talking Pierson or Ahmed-Haq? I don't think I ever saw a column from Alex in the Sun or from Rubina, for that matter. Maybe you're thinking of CFRB's Jerry Agar, who regularly writes columns for that paper. Or perhaps Adrienne Batra, who is one of the executives there and frequently appears on several Toronto radio stations. 

May 9, 2022 9:00 pm  #4

Ah, yes. I was thinking of Batra. My error.

May 9, 2022 9:15 pm  #5

RadioActive wrote:

For the past two weeks, fill-in host Angela Kokott was reminding listeners to 640's On Point show that Alex Pierson would be back this week. But Monday's show began and Rubina Ahmed-Haq was in her place instead and will remain there until at least Tuesday.

There was no explanation of where Pierson might be or when she's returning, despite being off for over a month suffering from burnout. I enjoy her show, because she asks pertinent questions of fairly interesting guests and keeps things moving along at a brisk clip. It's not a good sign that after all this time and rest, she's still not back and there's no confirmation of when she will be. 

Unlike the mysterious disappearance of Ryan Doyle on CFRB a while back, all the fill-ins say they're "In for Alex," which hopefully means she will, in fact, be returning sooner than later.

Wow, was Angela Kokott doing the show from Calgary at CHQR's studios, or did Corus ship her to Toronto temporarily?

May 9, 2022 9:58 pm  #6

ED1 wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

Wow, was Angela Kokott doing the show from Calgary at CHQR's studios, or did Corus ship her to Toronto temporarily?

I have no idea, but my guess would be she did it remotely. Why bring her all the way here if they didn't need to?

May 11, 2022 2:54 pm  #7

Burn out takes a lot longer than a month to recover from, IMO.  I've gone through burnout and really it was more like a year to 2 years before I started feeling like myself again.  If Alex returned after only a month, I'd imagine that she would just be gone again after a few months for another rest and recovery period.

She shouldn't push herself if she can afford to take the time off (then again, with today's gas and food prices, how long can any of us afford to not collect a paycheque?)

Last edited by TomTV (May 11, 2022 2:55 pm)

May 11, 2022 3:04 pm  #8

This wouldn't have even come up if the fill-in host hadn't announced numerous times in the past two weeks that Alex would be back in the second week of May. Perhaps something happened to that timeline and she really was told Pierson was returning.

Whatever took place, I agree with you that burnout can take a lot longer to fix than just a month. I can't help but wonder when (or even if) she'll return. It would be nice to have her back in time for the June 2nd election, when her show would be on right as the results start to come in. 

Talk about returning to a stressful night!

May 11, 2022 4:06 pm  #9

Alex needs to listen to her inner voice and family, realize the scope of the epiphany she's encountered, and leave the dark side...like Adler did...she's received enough attention in her right wing career and she doesn't need to cater to the freedumb convoy crowd anymore.

May 12, 2022 12:35 pm  #10

Johnny B wrote:

Alex needs to listen to her inner voice and family, realize the scope of the epiphany she's encountered, and leave the dark side...like Adler did...she's received enough attention in her right wing career and she doesn't need to cater to the freedumb convoy crowd anymore.

Can I get a chorus of "Amens"?