sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 24, 2022 11:27 am  #1

CTV's Children Ruin Everything Gets Little Bump From Super Bowl

CTV's sitcom Children Ruin Everything was given the prime lead in spot after the Super Bowl on February 13th. With 7 million plus viewers the program should have benefited from the huge lead in audience.  Didn't happen, with CRE only capturing 721,000 viewers after the big game. This is only slightly more than the rating that the program had been tracking in it's regular time slot. 

The question is, where did CTV's Super Bowl audience go after the game?  They didn't appear on any other programs during the 10-11:00 time slot. Possibly people stayed with the game festivities on TSN?  CTV bailed six minutes sooner than NBC after the game. NBC scheduled Olympic coverage immediately after the Super Bowl.  This more than doubled the regular audience for the Beijing Games on the network.

More from brioux.tv.https://brioux.tv/blog/2022/02/22/super-bowl-lvi-gives-little-lift-to-children-ruin-everything/. 

February 24, 2022 8:58 pm  #2

Re: CTV's Children Ruin Everything Gets Little Bump From Super Bowl

His rationale (and therefore his opinion) is a bit flawed. 

NBC got around 100 million super bowl viewers, their post-game Olympic coverage averaged 24 million. So they managed to keep 24% of their audience. This is certainly higher than it would've been otherwise if they didn't have the olympics as their post-game program. We both agree on that.. I think. 

However..... CTV's audience was 5.96 million (which he incorrectly reported was 7.225). Remember also that CTV's figures include the NBC simsub during the game. We know from the recent non-simsub years that approximately 25-40% of the Canadian audiences watches on the US simsub feed. Let's give them the benefit of the doubt and say it was 25%. That means CTV's actual audience was around 4.47 million. 24% of 4.47 million is ~1 million. So CTV got 721k when 1 million would've had them on-par with NBC. Considering CBC has the olympic rights here, I'd say that's a big win for CTV. Not too sure what he's talking about. 

May 11, 2022 11:48 am  #3

CTV's Children Ruin Everything is not a show I watch, but it will be getting a lot more eyeballs soon. It's been sold to the Roku Channel streaming service, which will debut the program in the U.S. In case you're not familiar with Roku, it's one of many free streaming services down south, along with Pluto and Tubi, among others. (It's available in Canada as well, but with far fewer titles for those north of the border.)

How Roku Is Trying to Make ‘Schitt’ Happen With Canadian Sitcom ‘Children Ruin Everything’

May 11, 2022 12:26 pm  #4

Roku announced that they had picked up both seasons of the show back in early February.  I watched some and it wasn't bad.  The kids act like kids and not little adults like many sitcoms tend to portray children.  

I think this show has potential and just needs to find the audience.  Nice that CTV renewed for a second season and 16 episodes. 
https://deadline.com/2022/02/children-ruin-everything-renewed-season-2-ctv-1234926845/

May 11, 2022 12:59 pm  #5

This has nothing to do with it being Canadian. It's just simply not the kind of show that interests me whether it was made by CTV or NBC. I don't find the antics of misbehaving or annoying kids all that entertaining. But good for them for getting an American deal.

Co-star Meaghan Rath, who's originally from Montreal, is fairly well known by some down south. She was in a great SyFy Channel show called "Being Human" that ran for several years on the NBC-owned cable channel. 

May 11, 2022 5:34 pm  #6

The show isn't really focused on the kids but rather the adults that deal with them.   The whole cast is good, including the children.  Many couples who have young kids will relate to this program, find it funny and identify with the storylines. 

If it finds it's audience, Children Ruin Everything could be popular here and on Roku. The show takes place in Toronto, and makes occasional references to the city and areas in Southern Ontario.