sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 7, 2022 11:08 am  #1

Reports Circulate Competition Bureau Will Oppose Big Merger

May 9, 2022 5:01 pm  #2

Re: Reports Circulate Competition Bureau Will Oppose Big Merger

The Competition Bureau officially challenged the merger on Monday, releasing its reasons for wanting to block this deal with the devil. They're fairly obvious but also fairly convincing to me. 

The Bureau’s application to the Tribunal alleges that the merger would substantially prevent or lessen competition by:

• eliminating an established, independent and low-priced competitor;
  • preventing future competition for wireless services, including 5G, within and outside Shaw’s existing service area; and
  • preventing competition in wireless services for business customers in Ontario, Alberta and British Columbia.

The Bureau contends that Shaw, which provides wireless services to over 2 million customers in Ontario, Alberta and B.C., is Rogers’ closest competitor. It has consistently challenged the Big 3 by improving the quality of its network and attracting customers through its aggressive pricing, bigger data allowances and service innovations."

Competition Bureau seeks full block of Rogers’ proposed acquisition of Shaw

Finally, someone is standing up for the general public and not for the interests of a bully giant like Rogers. Will they succeed in blocking it? I have my doubts, since these guys always seem to get their way, but wouldn't it be nice for the little guy to win just once?

Rogers & Shaw have 45 days to respond and the Bureau has an additional two weeks to answer after that.  The final decision then rests with the Tribunal but there's no timeline for when a decision might be rendered. 

May 9, 2022 6:11 pm  #3

What's interesting is that Rogers have signaled their intention to sell Freedom to get the deal done; The Bureau just doesn't like/trust the way Rogers has gone about it. Should they find a suitable buyer for Freedom, competition considerations become almost entirely moot. 

May 9, 2022 7:05 pm  #4

A Canadian Press article indicates there's some doubt the Bureau's objection will amount to a major challenge and that the merger will eventually be approved. 

Competition Bureau seeks to block Rogers-Shaw deal, citing affordability and choice

May 10, 2022 7:30 am  #5

Edward Rogers threw his mother and sisters under the bus last fall in the very public
Rogers boardroom coup. I hardly think this is the type of person who should be in control
of a large chunk of Canada’s wireless service. Plus Rogers has the knack of ruining whatever they
take over, like the great job they’ve done with Citytv….!

May 10, 2022 8:32 am  #6

Shorty Wave wrote:

Plus Rogers has the knack of ruining whatever they

What are you talking about? They're doing an amazing job with City TV! Canada's got talent and all!

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

May 10, 2022 9:17 am  #7

Canada’s Got Talent indeed!

May 10, 2022 12:06 pm  #8

Outside of communist, Russian and dictatorship led states, Canada's telecommunications network is one of the most unfair and monopolized industries among first world economies...Bell and Rogers will continue to limit or remove affordable options and rape their customers and shit on their employees at every turn...

May 10, 2022 2:37 pm  #9

Canada's Got Talent showed up at the bottom of the Numeris Top 30 last week,  That isn't bad for a show that is on seven City stations and maybe three affiliates. Many imported prime time game shows with the advantage of simsub on CTV or Global never make the top 30. 

Tonight CGT is up against the Leaf playoff game.  So doubt that they will be in the top 30 next week, as with most other shows scheduled this evening. . 

May 10, 2022 3:11 pm  #10

I love how Rogers just upped one of my cell plans by $5.00 a month starting this May.   They did it because they could.

May 15, 2022 8:11 am  #11

May 30, 2022 10:08 pm  #12

May 30, 2022 10:19 pm  #13

Radiowiz wrote:

Shorty Wave wrote:

What are you talking about? They're doing an amazing job with City TV! Canada's got talent and all!

Those Mom reruns that fill their primetime schedule must be doing wonders...(!)

Last edited by ED1 (May 30, 2022 10:19 pm)

June 1, 2022 7:44 am  #14

ED1 wrote:

Radiowiz wrote:

Shorty Wave wrote:

Pathetic, considering the show was cancelled over a year ago. I honestly think they really don’t care.

June 1, 2022 10:44 am  #15

Shorty Wave wrote:

ED1 wrote:

Radiowiz wrote:

Pathetic, considering the show was cancelled over a year ago. I honestly think they really don’t care.

Rogers doesn't care? So Chum group didn't care either then. I remember when the 7-8pm timeslot was SCTV reruns even though SCTV had been off the air for far longer than MOM.

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

June 1, 2022 8:00 pm  #16

Radiowiz wrote:

Shorty Wave wrote:

ED1 wrote:

Rogers doesn't care? So Chum group didn't care either then. I remember when the 7-8pm timeslot was SCTV reruns even though SCTV had been off the air for far longer than MOM.

True, however that was in the 80s and Citytv was not a national broadcaster. Also Mom airs from 10-11pm
on a couple of weeknights, after airing it from 7-8pm the same evening, so essential they’re filling 2 hours of prime time with reruns. Maybe Rogers does care, they spent a fortune on Canada’s Got Talent, but the reruns
in prime time in this day and age don’t get the ratings, which is how broadcasters earn their corn.

Last edited by Shorty Wave (June 1, 2022 8:02 pm)

July 6, 2022 5:40 pm  #17

July 6, 2022 11:38 pm  #18

popped on to post this update, and of course Quick Draw RA already has, here's CBC's take on the medium lukewarm mediation efforts, this kinda feels like Monday morning quarterbacking, wonder what the real story behind this story is
https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/rogers-shaw-merger-1.6511580