sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 4, 2022 12:02 pm  #1

This May Be The Closest We Get To CFRB Celebrating Its Own History

Just days after Bell-owned CFRA feted its own 75th anniversary on air, some here (well, mostly me) lamented the fact that CFRB - a heritage station in Canada if there ever was one - ignored its own 90th birthday several years ago.

And then, purely by accident, I discovered this on YouTube. I have no idea exactly when it was recorded or released, but it appears to be an LP that marked the station's 50th birthday. It's partially narrated by veteran newsman Jack Dennett and is a snapshot of how radio was done then, along with history lessons from a now bygone era. 

It may be the closest we ever come to hearing the station blow its own horn. And yes, it does mention Ted Rogers Sr.'s role in founding the place - including the on-air announcement of his death. It turns out the station signed off for several hours when the news was broadcast, to resume at 5:30 PM. 

There's also the story of how a storm destroyed CFRB's tower and they worked to get the station back on the air, survived a fire in its control room and covered World War II. 

A rare curiosity from a very different time. 

May 9, 2022 12:30 am  #2

Re: This May Be The Closest We Get To CFRB Celebrating Its Own History

It is a fascinating album.  I've had it in my archives for almost 25 years. 

May 9, 2022 8:33 am  #3

Re: This May Be The Closest We Get To CFRB Celebrating Its Own History

Interesting album. There's some more pictures of it at its Discogs entry here (click the album cover itself or "More Images" text).