sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 4, 2022 1:31 pm  #1

Can't Stand Newstalk1010 New Rush

I have tried but have come to the conclusion I can't listen.  Have switched to John Oakley on 640AM which is the best of the two but not great either.
Also I miss Jim Richards and hope he is doing well.

May 4, 2022 1:59 pm  #2

Re: Can't Stand Newstalk1010 New Rush

I have tried but have come to the conclusion I can't listen.  Have switched to John Oakley on 640AM which is the best of the two but not great either.

-Ditto

Last edited by Jay Baxter (May 4, 2022 2:00 pm)

May 4, 2022 2:52 pm  #3

Interesting to read these thoughts.

I actually came here today to post that I think "The New Rush" is finally starting to "gel". The interplay and banter and back-and-forth cadence rhythms between the hosts is getting better. Now granted - that's compared to their first week, which really wasn't that long ago (April), and any two people working together would improve in that time. I'm not sure it's a show I'll consistently listen to, but it's gradually getting better in my view.

May 4, 2022 2:53 pm  #4

Richards =  gone and forgotten

May 4, 2022 3:42 pm  #5

I am still having ambivalent feelings about the "new rush" but will hang in for a bit longer.
WE WANT JIM!    
Please get Jim back on air at some time, either night or day.
Jim is a true diamond in the rough that must not be banished for the benefit of the bean counters.

May 4, 2022 8:37 pm  #6

Charlie wrote:

Just wondering... is the female co-host's name 'Reshmi'?  Her male counterpart saying her name 38 times per segment hasn't quite made it clear.

Reshmi Nair, formerly of CP24, and CBC News Network.

May 5, 2022 11:26 am  #7

The Rush lacks the unscripted banter I used to enjoy listening to between Jay and Doyle. As much as I like the current hosts , they can’t get me to listen at any length and I tune out .

Last edited by 1220cowboy (May 5, 2022 11:30 am)

May 5, 2022 12:58 pm  #8

Agree. The tone is strident, consistent, predictable, and with too much authority. In a nutshell, it's as boring as a sports commentary when there is no action, and the commentators are not throwing random asides at each other. This is not sports radio, it needs to be standalone entertainment in the afternoon. However, I will still wait a little longer to see if we eventually get good wine from this batch or simply bad whining. 

May 5, 2022 9:00 pm  #9

Jay Baxter wrote:

-Ditto

How about giving Tom McConnell on CKTB a shot in afternoon drive? Occasionally too heavily Niagara-focused if you don't live there, but the topics are generally good and he and his producer, Greg Campagna, are pretty terrific on air together. Worth a shot if the other two are turning you off. 

May 5, 2022 9:52 pm  #10

I've started listening to Nick K. and the excellent hockey talk starting at 3 p.m. on the Fan 590. (Pretty convenient since I have the radio already tuned there for the Jeff Marek show from noon to 2:00 p.m.) Then at 4:00 it's the three amigos on TSN 1050 until 7, tho I will keep on checking out the Rush intermittently hoping that show will be able to morph into talk to you not at you talk radio.

💡Idea: once the evening election coverage with, I think it's Mark Towhey?? on Newstalk 1010 has completed its run, bring back Jim Richards with his own new show for a couple of hours, maybe from from 7-10

Call it Overview with Jim Richards and have a combination of short reroll bits from throughout the day, plus a guest or two. 🤞🎙️

Last edited by betaylored (May 5, 2022 10:11 pm)

May 5, 2022 10:00 pm  #11

Bring back Ryan!!!............I forgot, he "quit". 

Last edited by cash (May 5, 2022 10:00 pm)

May 6, 2022 9:03 am  #12

It's too early to judge. Like any and every other "team" put together, it takes some time to find the right chemistry, the right tone. The downside is that it doesn't always work but the truth is you can't just flip a switch and have that. 
I will add though that Bell effectively killed Newstalk 1010 and getting listener's trust back is a big issue here. It may never happen.

May 6, 2022 6:00 pm  #13

I agree that Bell has ruined Newstalk 1010.  The only show I listen to now is John Moore and Robert Turner.

May 8, 2022 12:04 pm  #14

I can only hope management of Bell Media reads these comments because if so many are waiting for two professionals to "gel" then something is absolutely wrong with the "New Rush".