sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 2, 2022 9:53 am  #1

A Classic Example Of CRTC Logic

I couldn't help but laugh when a friend of mine contacted me after writing to the CRTC over a small issue. He got an automated reply that includes this statement:

"If your request is urgent, for example, if it involves the disconnection of your telephone service, please contact Client Services toll-free at 1-877-249-2782."

So let me get this straight - if my phone is disconnected, the best thing I can do is call them. On what, exactly? How do you call someone on a disconnected phone? This certainly explains a lot about some of the decisions made by the Commission! 

May 2, 2022 11:01 am  #2

Re: A Classic Example Of CRTC Logic

RadioActive wrote:

I couldn't help but laugh when a friend of mine contacted me after writing to the CRTC over a small issue. He got an automated reply that includes this statement:

"If your request is urgent, for example, if it involves the disconnection of your telephone service, please contact Client Services toll-free at 1-877-249-2782."

So let me get this straight - if my phone is disconnected, the best thing I can do is call them. On what, exactly? How do you call someone on a disconnected phone? This certainly explains a lot about some of the decisions made by the Commission! 

800 numbers are free from a public pay phone.

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

May 2, 2022 11:04 am  #3

Radiowiz wrote:

And where might I find one of those?

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

May 2, 2022 11:09 am  #4

turkeytop wrote:

Radiowiz wrote:

They're everywhere. Here in Toronto they're all over the subway system because Freedom Mobile is the only service down there and not everyone has that service. 
You can easily find them in areas where signal is weak. Payphones are also around so one can call someone and apologize for forgetting to charge their phone...or worse, to inform someone that they've lost or misplaced their phone. 

May 2, 2022 7:47 pm  #5

Radiowiz wrote:

They're everywhere. Here in Toronto they're all over the subway system because Freedom Mobile is the only service down there and not everyone has that service. 
You can easily find them in areas where signal is weak. Payphones are also around so one can call someone and apologize for forgetting to charge their phone...or worse, to inform someone that they've lost or misplaced their phone. 

Good to know. The next time I need to use a pay phone, I'll drive to Toronto.

May 2, 2022 7:58 pm  #6

Why would the CRTC be involved if your phone service is down? Regardless, like the old Dionne Warwick song....That's What Friends Are For....use a friends phone to call the 1-877 number.  Assuming that we all have friends!

May 2, 2022 8:14 pm  #7

Before I retired, I used to have to go once or twice a month to the town of Mitchell, up near Stratford. Whenever I was out of town for the day I always called my wife to let her know when I was on my way home. In Mitchell, the only pay phone in town was in the Bar.

Whenever I called from there, she would say, "It sounds like you're in a bar." Of course I was. And I had the perfect excuse for being there.

May 2, 2022 11:43 pm  #8

Radiowiz wrote:

turkeytop wrote:

Radiowiz wrote:

I saw a whole bank of them at Pearson Airport recently.

May 3, 2022 1:30 am  #9

turkeytop wrote:

Radiowiz wrote:

Good to know. The next time I need to use a pay phone, I'll drive to Toronto.

No need to do that.   https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/vancouver-payphones-homeless-1.5210617