sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 28, 2022 4:26 pm  #1

640 Misses The Ontario Budget Boat By Miles

For the past 24 hours, all we've been promised on AM 640 is the highlights of the Ontario Tories election platform - er, sorry, the budget. Lots of guests and interpretation were touted as soon as the Finance Minister got up to speak - the moment when radio reporters stuck all day in the lockup could legally reveal the highlights. 

CFRB immediately went to it after their 4 PM news. 

CBC Radio 1 launched into major budget coverage mode with a special, including the highlights and reaction.

CityNews 680 had a precis of what was in the document. 

CKTB took the speech live. 

And over on 640? For reasons that will baffle everyone, John Oakley was interviewing an expert about why more Canadians don't want to join the military, followed by an interview regarding the war in Ukraine. WTF? Talk about missing the point. 

Look, whether you love the PCs or hate them has nothing to do with it. This was true breaking news that affects every taxpayer and voter in the province and that means it needs instant coverage. Now. Not 30 minutes later. Frankly, I was stunned that they would wait until after 4:30, especially considering they could legally go to it a lot sooner than that. It's literally the bread and butter of a news-talk station. 

I would absolutely love to know what they were thinking at Corus Quay. After the all-day hype and build-up promising highlights and analysis the moment the Fin. Min. began to speak, this is truly one of the strangest decisions I've heard in a long, long time. 

Ms. Cupido, what in the world is going on over there?

April 28, 2022 4:34 pm  #2

Re: 640 Misses The Ontario Budget Boat By Miles

Is AM 640s' new slogan "Let's talk about something else..."? 

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

April 28, 2022 4:36 pm  #3

Isn't their new slogan something like "Toronto's News/Today's Talk?" They certainly missed both of them.

April 28, 2022 4:44 pm  #4

Don't worry, as it will be over in 35 days from now...  still lots of time to regroup and see if they can get it right for election night coverage....

April 28, 2022 4:54 pm  #5

I can only imagine election night at 8:01 PM. right after the polls close. Everyone else will go into full vote counting coverage, while over on 640, they'll be dealing with the anniversary of the day Billy The Kid was shot, or whatever historical event took place that evening.

No wonder they're always behind 'RB in the ratings, never mind the CBC and CFTR. 

By the way, 1010 is promising at special live show at 7 PM on the budget Thursday, instead of the usual rerolls. Mark Towhey is host. Nice to see they're still willing to go live when something important is going on.  

April 28, 2022 7:24 pm  #6

RadioActive wrote:

By the way, 1010 is promising at special live show at 7 PM on the budget Thursday, instead of the usual rerolls. Mark Towhey is host. Nice to see they're still willing to go live when something important is going on.  

Or not.

I turned NT1010 on at 7 PM and heard a John Moore reroll, as usual. I'm 100% sure I heard them promote this on-air early Thursday morning, but either I was half asleep or there was so little in the document, they decided to call the whole thing off.