sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 26, 2022 4:43 pm  #1

A Note To All Ryerson Radio & TV Arts Grads

They've finally decided you didn't graduate from Ryerson Polytechnic Institiute or University, after all. It was revealed Tuesday afternoon that a thinktank came up with the less than brilliant name "Toronto Metropolitan University," as the new moniker.

Does this mean you need a new diploma?

Ryerson to be renamed Toronto Metropolitan University

April 26, 2022 6:02 pm  #2

Re: A Note To All Ryerson Radio & TV Arts Grads

RadioActive wrote:

They've finally decided you didn't graduate from Ryerson Polytechnic Institiute or University, after all. It was revealed Tuesday afternoon that a thinktank came up with the less than brilliant name "Toronto Metropolitan University," as the new moniker.

Does this mean you need a new diploma?

Ryerson to be renamed Toronto Metropolitan University

Theme song for the new name.
https://youtu.be/vWX-ip32gTY

April 26, 2022 6:11 pm  #3

According to CTV News, any grad who wants an updated diploma can get one. 

I'm guessing there won't be a lot of takers. 

April 26, 2022 8:45 pm  #4

It will always be Rye-High to me!!

April 26, 2022 9:14 pm  #5

I just wish Mike Stafford was around to comment on this. It would be interesting to hear what he would have to say, having been in RTA once upon a time. 

April 26, 2022 9:41 pm  #6

RadioActive wrote:

I just wish Mike Stafford was around to comment on this

Ditto.

April 27, 2022 2:13 am  #7

RadioActive wrote:

According to CTV News, any grad who wants an updated diploma can get one. 

I'm guessing there won't be a lot of takers. 

I'm guessing there will be many thousands.

Last edited by Tomas Barlow (April 27, 2022 2:18 am)

April 27, 2022 12:06 pm  #8

Kow-towing to a bunch of mis-informed thugs sets a bad precedent. Suppose they don't like this name? Do they change it again?

As it turns out, they may have targeted the wrong person. Not that facts matter to the "woke" crowd.

https://www.dorchesterreview.ca/blogs/news/the-imbecile-attack-on-egerton-ryerson

Last edited by Dale Patterson (April 27, 2022 5:48 pm)

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

April 27, 2022 1:51 pm  #9

I did a double-take when I saw the "new" name. Thought it would be something like "Toronto Woke University".

Guess the woke folks left out a word.  

April 27, 2022 4:41 pm  #10

They should have re-named it in honour of the Premier and his late brother "Ford University:.

It has a nice ring to it and the initials are priceless.

April 27, 2022 4:54 pm  #11

Which reminds me, one of the stations airing Randy Bachman's Vinyl is Moose-FM in Ft. St. John.  Their real call letters are CKFU.  They've even produced a couple of cute legal IDs.

But back to the topic, I was pulling for Snowflake University.

April 27, 2022 5:02 pm  #12

Simon Fraser University in B.C. has the initials SFU. Enroll and the get T-shirt. 

April 27, 2022 5:58 pm  #13

They should have re-named it after former Premier and Education Minister Bill Davis. He was well-respected by people of all political stripes. I doubt that anyone - even the wokes - would have a problem with it. This NYT obit sums up his career quite nicely.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/08/18/world/canada/bill-davis-pragmatic-ontario-premier-dies-at-92.html

Last edited by Dale Patterson (April 27, 2022 6:02 pm)

April 27, 2022 7:19 pm  #14

Older men suddenly within the last year using the term "woke" repeatedly kind of reminds me of when a child first learns about swear words.

April 27, 2022 7:57 pm  #15

updated diploma???  no thanks,  I'll pass..

April 28, 2022 1:27 am  #16

The responses here don't surprise me at all.  Most people here are closer to a death certificate than a college diploma so of course they don't need an updated diploma. Although I suspect the opinions on commemorating the architect of a genocide would change if the diploma said something like Hitler University. I don't know if it's the timeline of the genocide or the color of the victims that would cause you to make that distinction.  
People who will be applying for jobs going forward will want the current name for their current resume and they'll also want to show their potential employers that they will respect their potential co-workers.   

April 28, 2022 9:08 am  #17

Fuck any historical figure that had anything to do with slavery, torture, witch burning and setting up schools for a specific 'savage' race that had a religion forced upon them complete with unmarked child graves buried in the playgrounds....old white guys on here using 'woke' and 'cancel culture' and 'respecting our history' is hilarious grandpa shit...just because something or someone was considered noble in the past doesn't secure it there for an eternity...humanity grows and learns and when we discover assholes from another era they should be treated as such...doesn't mean we should stop learning about them like the American idiots banning what they term critical race theory in the south....but we shouldn't be keeping metal statues of them up or naming schools after these people either....

April 28, 2022 11:58 am  #18

Johnny B wrote:

Fuck any historical figure that had anything to do with slavery, torture, witch burning and setting up schools for a specific 'savage' race that had a religion forced upon them complete with unmarked child graves buried in the playgrounds....old white guys on here using 'woke' and 'cancel culture' and 'respecting our history' is hilarious grandpa shit...just because something or someone was considered noble in the past doesn't secure it there for an eternity...humanity grows and learns and when we discover assholes from another era they should be treated as such...doesn't mean we should stop learning about them like the American idiots banning what they term critical race theory in the south....but we shouldn't be keeping metal statues of them up or naming schools after these people either....

Mobs tearing down statues - especially the wrong ones - doesn't eliminate history.

Last edited by Dale Patterson (April 28, 2022 12:01 pm)

April 28, 2022 11:18 pm  #19

Dale Patterson wrote:

Johnny B wrote:

Mobs tearing down statues - especially the wrong ones - doesn't eliminate history.

No it doesn't.  It changes the future.

April 29, 2022 12:01 pm  #20

I kind of liked Bob Reid's answer when he was asked on Friday's Touchdowns and Fumbles on CFRB if he was planning to get a new diploma with the name change. "I'm keeping the collectible," he answered. I guess that is what all those old documents will become. 

April 29, 2022 2:53 pm  #21

Tomas Barlow wrote:

Dale Patterson wrote:

Johnny B wrote:

These thugs should have been charged with desecrating a public statue and punished to the full extent of the law. In a civilized society, rule of the mob is wrong. That's why we have laws. They could have changed the name simply by going through proper channels, but instead chose to break the law. The fact that Ryerson kow-towed to these miscreants is appalling and sets a bad precedent. Civilized, law-abiding people understand this.

April 30, 2022 7:38 pm  #22

Dale Patterson wrote:

Tomas Barlow wrote:

Dale Patterson wrote:

These thugs should have been charged with desecrating a public statue and punished to the full extent of the law. In a civilized society, rule of the mob is wrong. That's why we have laws. They could have changed the name simply by going through proper channels, but instead chose to break the law. The fact that Ryerson kow-towed to these miscreants is appalling and sets a bad precedent. Civilized, law-abiding people understand this.

Statues celebrating the man who created the system of racism, kidnapping, physical abuse, sexual assault and murder of a specific race of people lasting over 100 years could be seen as appalling, but you're free to celebrate him.  Civilized, law-abiding people understand that this type of abuse was wrong and illegal, and statues celebrating it are in bad taste, to say the least.  You're more upset about the statue.  We all have different prioties.

Last edited by Tomas Barlow (April 30, 2022 7:46 pm)

April 30, 2022 11:53 pm  #23

Tomas Barlow wrote:

Dale Patterson wrote:

Tomas Barlow wrote:

Statues celebrating the man who created the system of racism, kidnapping, physical abuse, sexual assault and murder of a specific race of people lasting over 100 years could be seen as appalling, but you're free to celebrate him.  Civilized, law-abiding people understand that this type of abuse was wrong and illegal, and statues celebrating it are in bad taste, to say the least.  You're more upset about the statue.  We all have different prioties.

My complaint is simply that we should not kow-tow to rule of the mob. Change can and should be accomplished through proper channels. Should the U.S. have bowed down to the mobs that invaded the Capitol Building on 1-6-21? No. Should Trudeau have let the truckers have their way during their Freedom convoys? No again. Sorry, I can't explain this in simpler terms for you.

May 1, 2022 3:22 am  #24

Dale Patterson wrote:

Tomas Barlow wrote:

Dale Patterson wrote:

My complaint is simply that we should not kow-tow to rule of the mob. Change can and should be accomplished through proper channels. Should the U.S. have bowed down to the mobs that invaded the Capitol Building on 1-6-21? No. Should Trudeau have let the truckers have their way during their Freedom convoys? No again. Sorry, I can't explain this in simpler terms for you.

I'm aware of how simple your opinion is.   And I'm saying that some causes are so painfully obviously worth a lack of decorum that it's ridiculous to see it any other way.  The convoy equivalency you tried to make is exactly my point.  Defacing the statue of a man who died trying to raise money to cure cancer and defacing the statue of a man who designed the system that resulted in the abuse and murder of hundreds or thousands of people are not the same thing.  In 1989 instead of cheering for the "mob" in Germany it sounds like you were probably angry at seeing that poor wall being damaged.

Last edited by Tomas Barlow (May 1, 2022 3:27 am)

May 1, 2022 11:18 am  #25

Tomas Barlow wrote:

Dale Patterson wrote:

Tomas Barlow wrote:

I'm aware of how simple your opinion is.   And I'm saying that some causes are so painfully obviously worth a lack of decorum that it's ridiculous to see it any other way.  The convoy equivalency you tried to make is exactly my point.  Defacing the statue of a man who died trying to raise money to cure cancer and defacing the statue of a man who designed the system that resulted in the abuse and murder of hundreds or thousands of people are not the same thing.  In 1989 instead of cheering for the "mob" in Germany it sounds like you were probably angry at seeing that poor wall being damaged.

Granted, situations are different. But I still say 'it's better to go through proper channels than resort to violence. People can get hurt. Statues, walls are just symbols and are unimportant.

Enjoy your torches and pitchforks. I'll choose peace. Have a good day.

Last edited by Dale Patterson (May 1, 2022 11:36 am)

May 1, 2022 4:03 pm  #26

Dale Patterson wrote:

Tomas Barlow wrote:

Dale Patterson wrote:

Granted, situations are different. But I still say 'it's better to go through proper channels than resort to violence. People can get hurt. Statues, walls are just symbols and are unimportant.

The celebration of genocide equals peace for you.  Luckily, opinions like yours inevitably die off. 

May 1, 2022 5:21 pm  #27

Tomas Barlow wrote:

Dale Patterson wrote:

Tomas Barlow wrote:

The celebration of genocide equals peace for you.  Luckily, opinions like yours inevitably die off. 

Nobody's "celebrating" genocide. All I'm saying is that there are proper channels to right wrongs rather than resorting to violence. We're actually agreeing that something needs to be done, but not on the means. You choose violence; I choose peaceful means. I'm guessing you were not a big fan of Martin Luther King.

We need to do much more to address our dreadful record regarding the Indigenous Peoples, but trying to erase history accomplishes nothing. You can't erase history, it's impossible. And destroying symbols of that history is an act of futility. It doesn't change anything.

Last edited by Dale Patterson (May 1, 2022 5:46 pm)

May 1, 2022 5:45 pm  #28

RadioAaron wrote:

Older men suddenly within the last year using the term "woke" repeatedly kind of reminds me of when a child first learns about swear words.