sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 27, 2022 5:17 pm  #1

What's With Oakley's New Obsession With "Today In History" Features?

I've noticed the past few weeks/months, a big change in 640's afternoon drivetime show. John Oakley has suddenly started to do extensive interviews on historical events, with at least one an hour about a variety of topics. Nothing wrong with that, I suppose, and a few of them are interesting. But many are pretty irrelevant, and the segments go on way too long for my liking. 

The problem to me is that talk radio generally works best when it's dealing with what's happening in the news today - not 100 years ago or in the wild west of the 1880s. And God knows there's more than enough going on to keep it contemporary. 

I wonder if this is the result of input from their new head of Talk & Talent, Amanda Cupido, because it didn't happen before she took over. I also suspect it's being done so they can rerun it as relatively undated content on their weekend "Best of" segments. If so, it's very odd to use your current show simply to help program your weekends. 

April 27, 2022 5:45 pm  #2

Re: What's With Oakley's New Obsession With "Today In History" Features?

Yes, the Stronach feature. At least he could have Belinda on at the same time to make it more interesting!

April 27, 2022 6:48 pm  #3

Re: What's With Oakley's New Obsession With "Today In History" Features?

Maybe the myopic maladroit has been doing some reading. 

At least books on tape?