sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 27, 2022 3:09 pm  #1

Ex-CFTO Reporter Karlene Nation Leaving Sauga960 On Thursday

It was never exactly a must listen, but former CFTO reporter Karlene Nation has announced that her last "Media Nation" show on Sauga960 will be on Thursday. She noted after three years, she's moving on to work on a documentary - although she didn't say what it would be about. 

Her show is generally an attack on the current government and it's not entirely clear yet what will take its place. I don't believe the show had all that many listeners in the first place or how many people were even aware it was on. 

April 27, 2022 3:36 pm  #2

Re: Ex-CFTO Reporter Karlene Nation Leaving Sauga960 On Thursday

RadioActive wrote:

I don't believe the show had all that many listeners in the first place or how many people were even aware it was on. 

(trying not to be blunt)  I don't believe the station/outlet has that many listeners in the first place, or that many people are even aware of its existence...  I mean,  250 watts, AM.   Does the station even mount a regular marketing/advertising plan?

April 27, 2022 3:40 pm  #3

I think they did a bus back campaign in Mississauga when they first launched. And Greg Carrasco has been taking out the occasional full-page ad in The Saturday Star tubthumping his show. Other than that, it's not a household name. 

April 27, 2022 3:52 pm  #4

Glen Warren wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

I don't believe the show had all that many listeners in the first place or how many people were even aware it was on. 

(trying not to be blunt)  I don't believe the station/outlet has that many listeners in the first place, or that many people are even aware of its existence...  I mean,  250 watts, AM.   Does the station even mount a regular marketing/advertising plan?

You know what? Ed the Sock either has or had a show on Sauga 960 and I do not remember him ever cross promoting his show on facebook or whatever out there...the opportunity was there. Not sure what happened. 
Strong following and all... (wait? Ed still has a strong following in 2022, right?)

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

April 27, 2022 4:36 pm  #5

His wife and sometime on-air partner just announced a new show on the station, having something to do with therapy. I have no idea who the target audience is, but her husband/Ed will not be a part of it. But both DO appear together on a show called "Ed & Red" that airs Friday nights at 9 PM. I can't imagine it has many tuned in with that signal at that time of night. 

Here's how bizarre this station is - on its own web page touting the Ed The Sock show, it says it airs at 9 PM Fridays, with a repeat at 10 PM on Sunday nights. But on the exact same page, it features a pic of "Mr. Sock" - with a box over it that tells listeners to tune in Fridays from 2-3 PM, when, of course, it's not on. 

What an odd little station it is.

April 27, 2022 6:46 pm  #6

Using the term 'show' is an overstatement. More a penalty of rambling, barely-coherent nonsense.

June 10, 2022 1:00 pm  #7

And now we know why she left. As hard as it is to believe, she's running for a Toronto City Council seat in Spadina-Ft. York. That's one of the hardest left ridings as you're going to find in the city, and Nation is all about taking a hard right. 

I suspect she'll still be looking for work after the next municipal election, which will be held on Oct. 24th.

June 10, 2022 2:58 pm  #8

I understand that Sauga960 is a legitimate topic of discussion on this Radio/TV forum but, realistically, that 250-watt grievance portal is worth about 250 nano-seconds of anyone's time.

June 10, 2022 8:39 pm  #9

Dial Twister wrote:

I understand that Sauga960 is a legitimate topic of discussion on this Radio/TV forum but, realistically, that 250-watt grievance portal is worth about 250 nano-seconds of anyone's time.

You're right, of course. But there's something about all the years it took to get this thing on the air and how someone thought an all-talk format in a city like Mississauga, when there's so much crushing competition from the bigger Toronto outlets, would work, that fascinates me.  

I think Sauga960 started only because the original owner wanted a place to broadcast his minor league hockey games. It continually amazes me that they can fill the time, let alone get enough advertising to keep it running and pay the bills. And only in the case of this station could a place called Sauga960 - promising to serve Brampton and Mississauga and Peel Region - have its studios in Etobicoke and apparently no real presence in Mississauga. 

It's a pretty quirky outlet and for that reason, I can't help but pay attention to it! 

June 10, 2022 8:53 pm  #10

RadioActive wrote:

And now we know why she left. As hard as it is to believe, she's running for a Toronto City Council seat in Spadina-Ft. York. That's one of the hardest left ridings as you're going to find in the city, and Nation is all about taking a hard right. 

I suspect she'll still be looking for work after the next municipal election, which will be held on Oct. 24th.

I have heard her content. She doesn't come across as the sharpest tool in the drawer.

June 10, 2022 8:55 pm  #11

Ward 1, Etobicoke North is available.