sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 26, 2022 7:09 pm  #1

is he gone?

i've been a member of this board for an amount of years i don't want to admit. some of the more high profile, and very active members, are long gone. that said, there's one guy that has been through those years with me (i remember seeing him slipping a chum chart in craig's casket). he listens to my weekly oldies show and commented as recently as last week. i go to message him tonight, before i record tomorrow's show, and i get a notice that he is no longer a member of this forum. i'm talking about "geo". anybody know the story behind the story?

April 26, 2022 7:17 pm  #2

Re: is he gone?

I hadn't noticed he was gone and he posted recently. If he left SOWNY, I'm sorry to hear it. But that is, of course, his choice. Why it might have happened I can't say. He certainly never let me know. People come and go all the time. I hope one day he decides to come back. With the exception of Ziggy (and long timers know his story) and one or two others, pretty much everyone is welcome here. 

He also seems to be missing from Lorne's Oldies Music Board, where I believe he posted under the initial "G." I certainly hope he's O.K.

April 26, 2022 8:30 pm  #3

I just went through my SOWNY inbox, which allows users to send each other private DMs. I found one from Geo, and under it, it says, "This user is no longer a forum member." 

I just hope he's OK!

April 26, 2022 8:42 pm  #4

RadioActive wrote:

I just went through my SOWNY inbox, which allows users to send each other private DMs. I found one from Geo, and under it, it says, "This user is no longer a forum member." 

I just hope he's OK!

that's how we were corresponding, as i mentioned. as recently as last week.

April 27, 2022 12:07 am  #5

He sent me a message on April 19th.

April 27, 2022 8:47 am  #6

good news! geo lives! geo sent me a message, by way of the internet radio station that airs my oldies show. he informed me he's not dead (lol), he's in argentina!
meanwhile, if you too want to listen to the show, even if you're not in argentina (we do have show listeners in south america), it airs today (wed.) at noon eastern www.blasttheradio.com or check out blast the radio on a variety of platforms, including spotify (plug over).

April 27, 2022 8:57 am  #7

That's really good to hear, hank ... I had certainly been wondering about him myself, since he's also been a regular contributor to the oldies board. Thanks very much for letting us know.

April 27, 2022 9:19 am  #8

I, too, am relieved. Although if you hear from him again, ask him - what the hell is he doing in Argentina and is it a permanent move? And does he not know we're on the WORLDwide web?

April 27, 2022 9:23 am  #9

so, I guess this means that geo has been geo-located.... 

April 27, 2022 9:27 am  #10

Glen Warren wrote:

so, I guess this means that geo has been geo-located.... 

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!  That's brilliant!

Cheers,
Jody Thornton

April 27, 2022 11:14 am  #11

Geo was one of the original posters here, dating back to the pre-SOWNY days. Not many are left from those wild and wooly days.

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

April 27, 2022 11:20 am  #12

Dale Patterson wrote:

Geo was one of the original posters here, dating back to the pre-SOWNY days. Not many are left from those wild and wooly days.

Yes, as I recall he posted on the early incarnations of the board you started as "Geriatric Geo."

April 27, 2022 11:23 am  #13

Dale Patterson wrote:

Yes, as someone who also goes back to those days I was thinking the same thing. I hope he returns. 

April 27, 2022 12:38 pm  #14

the original hank wrote:

good news! geo lives! geo sent me a message, by way of the internet radio station that airs my oldies show. he informed me he's not dead (lol), he's in argentina!

Glad he's alive!    But that doesn't explain why his Sowny account is showing as invalid? Accounts can sit there, unused, unlogged-into, and idle, for quite a long, long time. If he did nothing and went to another country it would still be active for whenever he wished to login, from wherever country. If he was just posting in April he must've shut it down himself (tired of the board? Fit of rage? "Fresh start"?).

April 27, 2022 4:55 pm  #15

Quite a few years ago, we had a small gathering for lunch at the Golden Star -- Craig, who was the board
moderator at the time, Doug Thompson, me and geo. Long drive but enjoyable afternoon at one of the top
dog burger joints in the GTA.*
Argentina??? geo must be getting a first-hand check on the Corus stock price in Tierra del Fuego.

* At the time. Evidently, it's gone downhill lately. You can see the dirt in some of the photos on Trip Advisor.

Last edited by mike marshall (April 27, 2022 5:16 pm)

April 27, 2022 4:58 pm  #16

Geo would be thrilled to see all the attention he's getting - and ironically, he probably doesn't even have any idea it's happening.

April 28, 2022 1:35 pm  #17

i'm going to try to reach out to him on the show, if need be. it might take an old cross-over hit, after all he reacted to the statler brothers....mmm.. maybe johnny horton or perhaps johnny cash and the tennessee 2? silly geo.

April 28, 2022 2:48 pm  #18

Louisville, Nashville, Knoxville, Ombabika,
Shefferville, Jacksonville, Waterville, Costa Rica,
Pittsfield, Springfield, Bakersfield, Shreveport,
Hackensack, Cadillac, Fond Du Lac, Davenport,
Idaho, Jellicoe, Argentina,
Diamontina, Pasadena, Catalina,
See what I mean-a?
- Hank Snow, I've Been Everywhere, #13 CHUM 1962

May 15, 2022 11:16 am  #19

I live nearby to Geo, I went by his house this week and saw his vehicle was in the driveway. It could be his son is using it. I will go by again and check in if anyone on here would like. 

May 15, 2022 2:31 pm  #20

Speaking of Geo. Has anyone noticed that Grilled Cheese has not posted for a while. Strangely I looked around the board yesterday and saw that his more recent posts seem to be gone. I saw a thread yesterday and was expecting him to post on that. I was not signed in when I checked yesterday day and right now I am on my phone.

Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/

May 15, 2022 2:34 pm  #21

Yes, I've also noticed the Cheese no longer stands alone. And to remove all his/her posts seems extreme to me. But it's his/her choice. No idea why they left, but I wish the poster well, wherever they are.  

May 15, 2022 8:21 pm  #22

Nobody knows where our Geo has gone
But Grilled Cheese left the same time ...

May 15, 2022 8:42 pm  #23

Perhaps he turned off the "Geolocation" on his cell phone. 

May 15, 2022 10:29 pm  #24

Lorne wrote:

Nobody knows where our Geo has gone
But Grilled Cheese left the same time ...

Good One !

This also made # 1 in the UK on a remake by Dave Stewart  ( not that one) and Barbara Gaskin.

Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/