sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 24, 2022 12:12 pm  #1

Evan Solomon Shreds Russian Ambassador In Incredible TV Interview

I've always liked Evan Solomon, but he's now gone up even further in my estimation, after I watched him absolutely eviscerate the Russian Ambassador to Canada during Sunday's "Question Period" on CTV. The official unabashedly told outrageous and bald-faced lies about the war in Ukraine, which he insisted on calling "a special military operation."

Solomon didn't let him get away with any of it even for a second, openly calling him a liar and nailing him with fact after fact as the guy made endless ridiculous and unprovable claims. It was a lesson in how to do it and frankly, I'm surprised the Russian ambassador even agreed to come on the show, since he had nothing to gain. 

It's very rare to see someone this openly attacked and proven to be a liar during an interview and I applaud Solomon for not just nodding and going on to the next question.

This was the opening segment of the show, and while it's not up yet as I type this, it will be posted at some point in the afternoon and it's a fascinating public unmasking of someone who tried to get away with incredible and despicable disinformation - and thanks to Solomon's prep work and skill, failed miserably for all the world to see. I strongly suspect it will be replayed in full on his radio show come Monday.

A clinic on great interviewing and definitely worth a watch if you get the chance.

CTV's Question Period Home Page

April 24, 2022 12:51 pm  #2

Re: Evan Solomon Shreds Russian Ambassador In Incredible TV Interview

I just watched it again and it was better the second time around. There's a point at which an exasperated Solomon rolls his eyes back in his head during one question and another where he gives out an audible sigh of disgust as this jackass is lying his way through yet another demonstrably obvious falsehood. 

The situation in Ukraine is a disaster by any measure, but I couldn't help but laugh as I watched this train wreck go by a second time. It was terrific television. And it could conceivably land Solomon on the Russian sanction list, if he's not already there!

April 24, 2022 3:08 pm  #3

This is now up on the Question Period website, for those that are interested. But even if you don't watch it, the screen grabs below tell a story all their own.

April 24, 2022 5:19 pm  #4

Maybo wrote:

While I was in Colombia, I watched Stephen Sackur absolutely demolish Maria Butina, a pro-Putin member of Russia’s lower house assembly on the BBC’s HardTalk. Her lies and claims were astonishing.

Here's a clip from that very show:

HardTalk, March 31, 2022

April 24, 2022 9:54 pm  #5

Great interview! Thanks for posting.

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

April 25, 2022 5:46 pm  #6

I did not watch the TV version with Evan Solomon but did listened to his show today and he played the interview.  He did a great job!  I enjoy listening to him.

April 25, 2022 5:52 pm  #7

I think he played a longer version of it than what ran on TV. I was listening to it, but then my phone rang and I missed a good portion of the end. But there was definitely stuff not included on Question Period Sunday.

A great interview and a rare moment when a host calls a guest a blatant liar several times during a Q&A. It was very refreshing and I just wish he'd do that when he has Canadian politicians on his show! 

April 25, 2022 6:41 pm  #8

Thank you, RadioActive. I missed the show. Kudos to Evan. THAT is how you do it.

Would that every 'so-called' journalist could be sat down in front of that video.