sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 19, 2021 11:02 am  #1

CNN Launching CNN+ Streaming Service - But Not Initially In Canada

NBC has one. So do CBS and Fox. It was only a matter of time before CNN joined the rush to streaming as traditional cable and TV viewership continues to fall. The new network vows to be different than its more established counterpart, and will give viewers access to all kinds of CNN produced series, like Anthony Bourdain and perhaps the recent History of Late Night programs.

Not that everyone would want it, but I find it strange that the all news network says it will initially restrict the service strictly to the U.S, at launch, which means Canadians won't be able to subscribe. I get that NBC's Peacock also features shows whose rights have been sold to networks here, but that's not entirely the case with CNN (although CHCH has bought a few of them, like "The Eighties" and several others.) So there's no reason to bar sales to Canadians who might want it.

I suspect that border ban won't last long, but we'll see. Or won't see, depending on what they decide.

Inside CNN Plus: A First Look at the New Streaming Service

July 19, 2021 9:14 pm  #2

Re: CNN Launching CNN+ Streaming Service - But Not Initially In Canada

Kassie Hunt, the Capitol Hill reporter for NBC and MSNBC and host of Way Too Early has been hired away to be a key part of CNN+. Her salary is rumored to be a million dollars a year.

July 19, 2021 10:53 pm  #3

How much news does a person need?

July 19, 2021 11:42 pm  #4

cash wrote:

It's not about "How much" news as much as it is how to access news without steering cord cutters to the competition online.

If CNN builds it..."they" (the cord cutters) will come... 

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

July 19, 2021 11:48 pm  #5

Radiowiz wrote:

cash wrote:

It's not about "How much" news as much as it is how to access news without steering cord cutters to the competition online.

Why not just make the current CNN go app available to people who don't have cable? (for a price)

Last edited by cash (July 19, 2021 11:51 pm)

July 19, 2021 11:52 pm  #6

Radiowiz wrote:

That, and also they can't afford to be the only ones who don't have a streaming service.

Consider:

Fox has Fox Nation, a subscription channel. The others are free but no less numerous:  NBC has NBC News NOW, CBS has CBSN, ABC has ABCNews Live and on and on it goes. CNN didn't want to be the only cable or OTA service without a streaming counterpart. I'm only surprised they didn't try this earlier. Now it looks like they're late to the party. 

July 20, 2021 4:02 pm  #7

CNN to Hire 450 Workers for New Streaming Service
https://www.thewrap.com/cnn-plus-450-jobs-zucker/

March 2, 2022 11:52 pm  #8

March 3, 2022 10:45 am  #9

Interesting that the 4 major networks plus CNN in the US have dove into the streaming world.

Here in Canada, only Global has FAST (free advertisement supported TV) channels for their national and local news (like the CBSN channels), and CBC offers CBC News Network for a fee without a cable subscription; Citytv also streams all their local newscasts live online for free.

Meanwhile, CTV insists on keeping CTV News Channel, and live streams of their local news, behind a cable paywall, and no signs of any free/subscription streaming news channels.

March 11, 2022 12:40 pm  #10

March 13, 2022 7:39 pm  #11

ED1 wrote:

Interesting that the 4 major networks plus CNN in the US have dove into the streaming world.

Here in Canada, only Global has FAST (free advertisement supported TV) channels for their national and local news (like the CBSN channels), and CBC offers CBC News Network for a fee without a cable subscription; Citytv also streams all their local newscasts live online for free.

Meanwhile, CTV insists on keeping CTV News Channel, and live streams of their local news, behind a cable paywall, and no signs of any free/subscription streaming news channels.

You can watch their local newscasts on The CTV News app. 

They unlock their News Channel stream during important events like the "Freedom Convoy" and the current conflict in eastern Europe.  https://www.ctvnews.ca/video?playlistId=1.5794150

March 29, 2022 3:46 pm  #12

It's too bad there's no way to sign up in Canada.

March 29, 2022 4:33 pm  #13

You can watch CNN free on ustvgo and livenewsmag and planetnews on any device.

March 29, 2022 4:37 pm  #14

I think he was referring to CNN+, their new streaming service, which would not be on ustvgo. 

Speaking of CNN+, it launches with at least one major name from a competitor. 

Chris Wallace On His Move To CNN+: “No Longer Felt Comfortable With The Programming At Fox”

March 31, 2022 6:04 pm  #15

A friend (who does not post here) points out that with a VPN, HBO Max has "CNN + Picks"

April 5, 2022 7:16 am  #16

This report makes it sound like their launch was not exactly newsworthy - and now rumours are circulating that it's already in trouble. 

Is CNN Plus Headed for a Quibi-Quick Exit?

April 5, 2022 1:27 pm  #17

The only way CNN+ sticks around is if "Warner Bros. Discovery" folds HBO Max, CNN+ and Discovery Plus into one service. I think that could do really well. 

April 12, 2022 9:05 pm  #18

RadioActive wrote:

This report makes it sound like their launch was not exactly newsworthy - and now rumours are circulating that it's already in trouble. 

Is CNN Plus Headed for a Quibi-Quick Exit?

The number of daily users two weeks in aren’t good:

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/04/12/cnn-plus-low-viewership-numbers-warner-bros-discovery.html

April 18, 2022 9:42 am  #20

Increasingly bad "news" for CNN+. But one columnist suggests its salvation may come in bundling it with another very popular property. Otherwise, there are signs it could be in big trouble. 

Is CNN+ Already a Bust?

April 19, 2022 2:41 pm  #21

RadioActive wrote:

Increasingly bad "news" for CNN+. But one columnist suggests its salvation may come in bundling it with another very popular property. Otherwise, there are signs it could be in big trouble. 

Is CNN+ Already a Bust?

CNN has also suspended external marketing for CNN+.

https://www.axios.com/discovery-cnn-plus-marketing-layoffs-jobs-b088c03c-b202-4756-8f5f-e64ee77b5095.html

April 21, 2022 12:58 pm  #22

Shutting down effective April 30;  after just 4 weeks.

CNN Plus Shutting Down, Streaming Service Folding | TVLine

April 21, 2022 1:00 pm  #23

An interesting sidebar to this is what happens to Chris Wallace? He left a very successful gig on Fox News to go to CNN+, with big promises of what his career would be. Now what? Does he wind up on the cable channel? Go back where he was if they'll have him? 

Definitely one of the bigger casualties of this disaster and I'm betting heads have already started rolling. 

April 21, 2022 1:05 pm  #24

RadioActive wrote:

An interesting sidebar to this is what happens to Chris Wallace? He left a very successful gig on Fox News to go to CNN+, with big promises of what his career would be. Now what? Does he wind up on the cable channel? Go back where he was if they'll have him? 

Definitely one of the bigger casualties of this disaster and I'm betting heads have already started rolling. 

They also brought Kasie Hunt over from MSNBC,  among others.

April 21, 2022 1:31 pm  #25

RadioActive wrote:

I would bet on seeing Chris Wallace in Cuomo's old timeslot. 

April 21, 2022 1:42 pm  #26

That would not surprise me. I don't think he would ever be accepted back at Fox, after publicly declaring after his departure that he "no longer felt comfortable with the programming at Fox."

A definite bridge burner. 

April 21, 2022 5:43 pm  #27

RadioActive wrote:

That would not surprise me. I don't think he would ever be accepted back at Fox, after publicly declaring after his departure that he "no longer felt comfortable with the programming at Fox."

Apparently he's not going anywhere and has a US$ 9 million annual contract.  Hunt was signed for 1 million annually.  For most however,  it looks like another corporate bloodbath.

CNN+ shutdown leaves axed staffers 'aghast and furious' (nypost.com)

Last edited by Media Observer (April 22, 2022 4:02 pm)

April 22, 2022 5:37 pm  #28

A ("Streaming") Bridge Too Far?...

https://clearthis.page/?u=https://puck.news/cnns-chronicle-of-a-death-foretold/

Last edited by Media Observer (April 22, 2022 5:41 pm)

April 24, 2022 8:55 am  #29

Media Observer wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

Apparently he's not going anywhere and has a US$ 9 million annual contract.  Hunt was signed for 1 million annually.  For most however,  it looks like another corporate bloodbath.

CNN+ shutdown leaves axed staffers 'aghast and furious' (nypost.com)

More on what happens next to the high-profile hires. Can't wait to see the Sunday morning media shows on CNN and Fox News to watch how they each spin this disaster. 

After CNN+’s Abrupt Demise, Attention Turns To The Future Of Its Shows & Personalities

April 24, 2022 7:37 pm  #30

500 million dollars...gone! Poof! As a result of this whole CNN + situation. 
SOURCE: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-04-21/warner-bros-discovery-to-shut-down-cnn-in-cost-cutting-effort