sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 5, 2022 7:40 pm  #1

Bobby Rydell Passes At 79

Saw this on the Oldies Board and thought it should be noted here: Bobby Rydell, one of the 60's many "Bobby's" that seemed to be everywhere around that time, passed away on Tuesday, just shy of his 80th birthday. His big hits include "Wild One," "Volare" and "Forget Him." 

Bobby Rydell, 1960s Pop Idol and Star of ‘Bye Bye Birdie,’ Dies at 79

April 6, 2022 1:21 pm  #2

Re: Bobby Rydell Passes At 79

He was the inspiration for Rydell High in Grease.

April 6, 2022 1:24 pm  #3

Years after they achieved separate teen stardom, Rydell toured with Fabian and Frankie Avalon. This article outlines what's happened to them since - including the revelation that one of Rydell's song may have helped inspire Lennon and McCartney to write "She Loves You." Unfortunately, it doesn't say which song!

What happened to Bobby Rydell's fellow Golden Boys?

April 6, 2022 6:56 pm  #4

I spent several hours with Bobby Rydell when I interviewed him back in the late 1980's in Toronto.  He was charming, generous with his time and told wonderful stories.  I told Bobby that the first 45 I ever bought was "Volare" in 1960 and I still have it today.  Very sad news today. 

Last edited by Doug Thompson (April 6, 2022 7:01 pm)

April 7, 2022 1:54 pm  #5

From GO Magazine, April 5, 1968:

April 11, 2022 11:43 am  #6

RadioActive wrote:

Years after they achieved separate teen stardom, Rydell toured with Fabian and Frankie Avalon. This article outlines what's happened to them since - including the revelation that one of Rydell's song may have helped inspire Lennon and McCartney to write "She Loves You." Unfortunately, it doesn't say which song!

What happened to Bobby Rydell's fellow Golden Boys?

I saw the following obit in the Star yesterday ... it states that the song was "Forget Him". 
https://www.pbs.org/newshour/arts/bobby-rydell-pompadoured-1960s-teen-idol-and-bye-bye-birdie-star-dies

April 11, 2022 1:22 pm  #7

Thanks Lorne. Your research skills are second-to-none, as always. If I turn my brain sideways, (and many here will attest it's always in that position!) I can kinda-sorta hear the relationship between the two, although it's a bit of a stretch. 

I originally saw the story of Rydell's passing on your Oldies Music Board site and I can't help but give it another plug here. It's a terrific place to learn stuff you never knew about some great hits, including one that I read this morning about the former college student from Utah who inspired the Beach Boys classic "Fun Fun Fun," when her dad really did take the T-bird away!

The Oldies Music Board

April 11, 2022 3:49 pm  #8

RadioActive wrote:

Thanks Lorne.

I originally saw the story of Rydell's passing on your Oldies Music Board site and I can't help but give it another plug here. It's a terrific place to learn stuff you never knew about some great hits

The Oldies Board regular, aflem, who posted the Beach Boys hit bit, also contributed an interesting advance
for the forthcoming Don McLean show May 7th.
(Nick Krewen, Special to the Star -- Don McLean's Biggest Song Isn't The One You Think

https://oldies.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=1175

Lotsa tasty little nuggets.