sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 10, 2022 7:03 pm  #1

The History Of CP24 And How It Changed Toronto's News

Ed Conroy, the genius behind Retrontario, takes a look back at the start of CP24, how it revolutionized cable news and the transition (sort of) from City TV ownership to CTV. 

I know some of the people who worked there when the CRTC ordered CTV to get rid of City, because it would give Bell too much control of too many stations. They kept CP24. In the end, a wise decision for Bell Media but a terrible one by the Commission.

And I agree with Conroy's observation that some of the public never realized the swap had taken place. Many still think of "Two-Four," as staffers used to call it, as being under City's control, and it shows just how much the two were joined at the video hip. Those old enough to remember it when it first started still often confuse the two, even though CTV News is shown at 6 and 11.

And by the way, that video of Mark Dailey saying "the city is our newsroom?" That phrase actually was used by WABC-TV in New York, but it was so perfect for City TV's imaging, that they simply appropriated it as their own for a time. 

The History Of CP24 And How It Changed Toronto's News 

The piece prints a page of an old sales brochure of CP24, but here's the rest of it.

April 10, 2022 8:07 pm  #2

Re: The History Of CP24 And How It Changed Toronto's News

Loved Kathryn Humphreys!!  She was great.

April 10, 2022 8:13 pm  #3

Listener wrote:

Loved Kathryn Humphreys!! She was great.

ESPN tried to get her to move to the States. She refused. She eventually left City to spend more time with her sons. I have no idea what happened to her since.

April 10, 2022 8:41 pm  #4

I remember when CTV launched an all-news station. 1996 maybe? It was on a 15-minute cycle. Everyone gathered round to marvel at it, and the minds who devised it.

April 10, 2022 8:45 pm  #5

Chrisphen wrote:

I remember when CTV launched an all-news station. 1996 maybe? It was on a 15-minute cycle. Everyone gathered round to marvel at it, and the minds who devised it.

1997... and that rotating desk was gone shortly after.