sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 8, 2022 6:53 pm  #1

How Much Do Corporate Interests Influence A Local TV Newscast?

How much of a say does a company's selfish interest play in the choice of a lead for a local newscast? The question comes after watching Friday night's 6 PM news on various stations. 

Here were some of the main choices:

-A triple shooting involving young people under 18 in one of Ontario's biggest tourist attractions in Niagara Falls. The suspect is still at large. 
-A student from India studying in Toronto is gunned down for no known reason outside a Toronto subway station. The victim has been identified for the first time. 
-A train station in Ukraine is attacked by Russian forces, killing at least 50 people, including a number of children. 
-The crowds gather for the first Blue Jay home opener in three years. 

You're the producer - which one do you lead with? 

Here's what the main TV outlets in T.O. did on Friday night:

CTV: The shooting in Niagara Falls.

Global: The subway shooting with new reaction from the bereaved family back in India

And City TV, owned by Rogers? You guessed it, the Blue Jays home opener, with fans singing "Take me out to the ball game." That was so important, it led the show. 

The odd thing about this is that I bet a friend just before the news began that City would lead with the baseball team owned by its corporate masters, even though it could be argued there were more important stories on the go. Turns out, I won that wager. And I can't say I'm the least bit surprised. 

The second yarn on CTV was COVID's continuing spread, while Global then dealt with the Niagara murder. Neither one got to the home opener until almost 10 minutes in. 

I just have to wonder if Rogers didn't own the team, whether that item - where nothing had even happened yet - would have occupied the first 7 minutes(!) of the show. 

Not that it hasn't happened before. I have a friend who used to work at City TV in the days when it was owned by CHUM. On the night of the MuchMusic Video Awards (with Much also owned by CHUM) they would be forced to lead with the pre-show preps from the City TV parking lot, even if something more important was taking place. 

"It's not that we were ever told we HAD to lead with that," I remember him saying. "It's just that if we didn't, we knew we were going to hear about it." Remember that nothing had actually happened there yet, and no rock stars had even arrived at 6 PM. But it was the lead anyway, simply because they were doing it. 

I wonder what those who gather here think of all this. I suppose it could be argued the Jays home opener for the first time since the pandemic began is a worthy lede. But if you define that as "the most important story of the day your viewers need to hear about," maybe it's not. 

When I see stuff like this, I often stop and think how much of what we see as our "top story tonight" is generated by importance - and how much because the suits want you to do it - or else.

April 8, 2022 7:48 pm  #2

Re: How Much Do Corporate Interests Influence A Local TV Newscast?

I can sum it up in three words: Bell Let's Talk.

'Nuff said.

April 8, 2022 8:10 pm  #3

CBC Toronto began with the Jays as well.  CHCH had the Niagara Falls shooting.

April 8, 2022 8:11 pm  #4

I think City made the right call.  Both the Niagara shooting and the subway shooting had been covered since 6am this morning by Toronto media and on City tv starting with BT.   Especially with the incident in Niagara there was really nothing new to report.  Looking at both the Star and Sun home pages on line the shootings are not the lead or most prominent. 

From an audience or viewer point of view, as crass as it may sound, more City viewers would be more interested in the long awaited home opener of the Jays.  And that's what they got for the lead story.  There is nothing wrong with leading with a good news or lighter story if circumstances allow, and today was such a case. 

There is always something "more important" taking place but that isn't always the point.  It should be what impacts the viewer most or what are people talking about today?  Today it would be the Jays home opener, so regardless of the Rogers owning the Jays and City, they made the right call in my opinion. 

If Rogers owned the only radio station in town and the only TV station then yes I would agree that this would have been a self serving corporate thing but this is not the case.  Same with the MuchMusic Video Awards. In it's prime the MMVA.s were usually the biggest thing happening in Toronto that day.  The fact that City was in the same building and it impacted their production made it pretty hard not to make it the lead story.   . 

April 9, 2022 11:45 am  #5

Radio Active, I think the idea that the networks are interested in providing a news service is somewhat a noble idea but not the case in today's landscape. The purpose of a newscast is to sell commercials to make money for the overlords if you want news got to the BBC or similar. CBC does a decent job on local. Take a look at  News Talk 1010, a news-based station that has no news department, but news supplied by a TV network. 
As for the "most important story" loose term. Important to a baseball fan or a  politics nerd? 

This discussion however flies in the face of current stats from Jsource "However, when asked where they find the most interesting news items, more than 50 per cent said, in general, they find the best stuff on the net. A measly 27 per cent selected television, and — even more grim — only 15 per cent and six per cent chose newspapers and radio, respectively.

Thats says its all :0

April 9, 2022 8:45 pm  #6

SO then, if City TV were owned by Frito Lay or Loblaws, I guess the top story would be
THIS: 
https://ca.finance.yahoo.com/news/loblaws-bringing-frito-lay-chips-183654015.html

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

April 9, 2022 9:00 pm  #7

A good example of corporate interests influencing news coverage was the investigative report about Monsanto by WTVT in Tampa Bay. The investigation started when they were a CBS affiliate, but when Fox bought the station the story was killed.

April 9, 2022 9:43 pm  #8

Radiowiz wrote:

SO then, if City TV were owned by Frito Lay or Loblaws, I guess the top story would be
THIS: 
https://ca.finance.yahoo.com/news/loblaws-bringing-frito-lay-chips-183654015.html

No it wouldn't be. The two in this scenario still would  have nothing in common.  One is a sports team that hadn't had a home opener in three years, and missed almost two full seasons playing in their home stadium.  The other had their products unavailable at a grocery chain for seven weeks.  Frito Lay products were still available at thousands of other stores and outlets.  Loblaws and Frito Lay are not in the news and sports every day and followed by millions of fans.. And yesterday the Jays home opener was the biggest event happening in Toronto, Loblaws stocking Doritos again in the shelves wouldn't be. 

Last edited by paterson1 (April 9, 2022 9:49 pm)

April 10, 2022 12:23 pm  #9