sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 5, 2022 9:09 am  #1

How They Verified Rare Clip Of 11-Yr.-Old Music Star Prince At TV Stn.

I often used to wander around the library of the thousands of tapes at the TV station where I work, wondering what lost gems are hidden there that no one knows about - perhaps a glimpse of a long torn down building I'd forgotten about, an event or an interview with a person that would later become either famous or notorious. 

That's what they found at WCCO-TV in Minneapolis, where someone discovered a very old tape from 1970 featuring what turned out to be an 11-year-old Prince Rogers Nelson, the artist who would later be known as Prince. There's nothing earth shattering in the 10 sec. clip, which focuses on a streeter asking kids what they think of a teachers' strike. The sight of this little innocent kid who would become a superstar just a few years later is striking. 

But you don't have to be a Prince fan to find this interesting. In fact, the story of how it was found, recovered and verified is also, if anything, the real amazing story. 

You can see it here. 

[img]https://minnesota.cbslocal.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/15909630/2022/04/10-PKG-Prince-Mystery-V_WCCO17HA.jpg?resize=768,432[/img]