sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 29, 2022 11:35 am  #1

A Rare Review: The Original Honeymooners, Dec. 1955

They're called the Classic 39, the half hour versions of the now legendary TV show The Honeymooners. They have been rerun endlessly for decades, with no end in sight. (WPIX-TV in New York runs them 24 hours a day every New Year's Eve, in a kind of holiday tradition.)

And while they've dated somewhat (you could never threaten to hit Alice in this day and age) the show is considered by many critics to be one of the greatest TV sitcoms ever made, an entry that always lands in the Top 10 of the greatest television shows in history. 

Most of us have no memory of a time when these programs didn't exist. But in 1955, it was brand new and TV Guide did a review of Jackie Gleason's latest effort, after abandoning his traditional variety show for the half hour format. I recently came across the article from December of that year, and what's fascinating about it is that the author had no idea then of what this single season would become. Here's what it said:

Hard as it is to imagine today, this show was not a ratings hit in the single year it ran and The Great One quickly went back to his old variety program standby. Here was his reaction in Sept. 1956 to what was then perceived as a "failure:"

March 29, 2022 9:24 pm  #2

Re: A Rare Review: The Original Honeymooners, Dec. 1955

Did you know someone actually tried to put out a Honeymooners comic book? I'm not sure when this was, but it certainly didn't last long. 

March 30, 2022 11:02 am  #3

Re: A Rare Review: The Original Honeymooners, Dec. 1955

Regular SOWNY poster Mace sent me this pic of a rare shot of the Honeymooners cast in living colour. Thanks, Mace!

It's a regular who's who of TV history. (Or should that be a hue's hue?)

By the way, why is this one of the classic old B&W shows that has never been colourized? Actually, on second thought, it's probably better that way.