sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 18, 2022 7:10 am  #1

One Time CFTR Announcer Back On Air - In Owen Sound

I have no real memory of Doug Avery, to be honest, but the linked article says he was on the air with Tom Rivers when both were doing mornings at CFTR. Avery had a longer career in Wingham, but when the axe fell - as it too often does in the business - he went on to other professions, including working in a factory. 

Now this veteran broadcaster is back, keeping his hand in the biz, with a weekly weekend show on an FM station in Owen Sound. He notes that he would have pursued his radio dream elsewhere, but because of his son's special needs, and the help he was getting here, he refused to move. 

“When we were let go at FM 102 I had radio offers but it meant moving and we love it here in Midwestern Ontario,” said Avery. “My youngest Travis has Downs Syndrome and is just doing amazing in all the programs available for him here that quite frankly are not available other places – and as I said the rest of us are very happy here – we decided I’d try for a real job so we could stay.” 

“I’ve done factory work – even went to school to get certified as a computer tech and now believe it or not I’m a fitter welder at Elma Steel but I’ve always loved radio and dreamed of a chance to return to it,” he said.

Popular character returns to radio

March 18, 2022 9:55 am  #2

Re: One Time CFTR Announcer Back On Air - In Owen Sound

Dougie is one of the nicest guys you'll ever meet and his passion for radio is second to none. 

March 29, 2022 2:58 pm  #3

Re: One Time CFTR Announcer Back On Air - In Owen Sound

Came across Doug Avery's new show while searching for some weekend programs that aren't  paid programs. I found it pleasant surprise. Music a bit more on the heavy side. (What ever became of the band Oliver Heavyside? A question for another time, or thread) Music from performers I know and like,plus songs from those performers I'm not familiar with, and find I'm enjoying as well. Tunes I don't recognize from bands I'm not so fond of ( like Green Day) but it was a decent song. Music from local bands that I've enjoyed listening to. And those familiar bits from the era when a few laughs were part of the show, such as The Swami, and more.I hope he gets noticed by other stations and gets the picked up by some of them.