sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 23, 2022 6:05 pm  #1

Is anyone over 'ome listening???

Further to my previous rants about audio processing, it continues to amaze me just how poor is the quality control of news channels in particular.  The BCC used to be the epitome of engineering excellence.  They designed the PPM (peak program meter) back in the 1930s as a way to prevent overmodulation of AM transmitters. They took extreme care to avoid audio processing on FM transmissions with a goal of preserving full frequency response.  I watch BBC World News every day.  The anchors' microphones are either clipped right under the gullet on a turtleneck sweater, or aimed sideways or upside down,  Field reporters often have their microphones buried under a parka or a scarf. There appears to be no understanding of a fundamental fact - the frequency response of any microphone falls off the further you go off axis, and the polar plots of the high frequencies can be drastically different than the lows.  Any fabric placed over a microphone will reduce high frequencies.
Quoting from a Rode microphone data sheet:
M I C  PL AC EM EN T
For the best performance, the Lavalier microphone should be positioned as close as possible to the sound source,xwithout being subject to clothing rustle, gusts of air or dust. Also ensure the mic is pointed as much as is convenient  towards the user’s mouth.  At times it may be best to test different placements to provide the optimal combination of sound quality and discretion."
CNN personnel are equality negligent of proper procedures. Over at ABC, Barbara Walters was the worst culprit, because she insisted on wearing the microphone camouflaged under her clothing, further muffling the higher frequencies of her low alto voice.
Tonight during the 5 PM BBC World News, apart from the aforementioned frequency response issues, the audio levels were all over the place.  Transitions from anchor desk to field reports have a difference of several dB. And when they switched to the weather forecast just before 530 pm, the volume was ear-shattering.

The lights are on, but nobody's home.
"He who has ears to hear, let him hear."

March 23, 2022 6:09 pm  #2

Re: Is anyone over 'ome listening???

Many (most?) TV newscasts don't even have audio people anymore. Mics are set up by the talent themselves or a floor director (if there is one) and mixing done through the automation system that controls everything from camera switching to teleprompter.

Last edited by RadioAaron (March 23, 2022 6:09 pm)

March 23, 2022 6:20 pm  #3

Well, even Rode says putting a lav mic on upside down is best practice, to reduce plosives...

https://www.rode.com/blog/all/lavalier-mounting-best-practices#:~:text=Tip%3A%20When%20placing%20the%20lavalier,the%20clear%20audio%20you%20desire.

Even with automation, there's still audio faders that can be manually overridden by an operator in the same control room, and depending on the automation system the gain can be adjusted through remote control software. It's not like it's completely out of the operator's hands. 

Last edited by ED1 (March 23, 2022 6:23 pm)

March 23, 2022 6:38 pm  #4

For sure, but there's a lot being asked of the operator, and audio always seems to live in its own little world - not the strength of most operational generalists.

March 25, 2022 12:52 am  #5

The BBC's World Service News Bulletins are far quieter than anything else I listen to on my smart speaker.  It can be a bit jarring when you listen something else right after if you don't remember to adjust the volume.