sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 21, 2022 7:42 pm  #1

After 25 Years Changes For Vancouver Morning Show

Vancouver's JR Country has some big changes coming on April 22nd.  This will be the final morning show for long time hosts Clay & Karen. Both recently announced their retirement from the station.  The hosts are leaving on their own accord and gave notice to owners Pattison Media 10 months ago.  Clay St. Thomas has been hosting the show for over 25 years and was teamed up with Karen Daniels 22 years ago.   

JR Country (CJJR) has consistently been one of Vancouver's most popular stations and in 2021 was the Radio Station of The Year for a major market from the Canadian Radio Awards.  More from Broadcast Dialogue...https://broadcastdialogue.com/jr-countrys-clay-karen-set-to-retire/

March 21, 2022 8:09 pm  #2

Re: After 25 Years Changes For Vancouver Morning Show

And in their last full book they're #1 25-54 with a 17 (!) share, 5 full points above the #2 station. What a way to go out!

March 22, 2022 5:03 pm  #3

Darn, interesting story, but when I saw the header I was hoping this was news of Brother Jake Edwards return to the airwaves.

March 24, 2022 2:57 pm  #4

RadioAaron wrote:

And in their last full book they're #1 25-54 with a 17 (!) share, 5 full points above the #2 station. What a way to go out!

This also calls into question that country music could never work in Toronto.  I don't know the Vancouver market well but JR looks like they are the only country outlet in town.  There could be some out of town or suburban signals that reach parts of the city but CJJR is the only one in Vancouver proper. 

I still maintain that Toronto has more than enough room for a country station and it would have many more listeners than most people think.  Corus should drop CFNY and bring in a modern country format for 102.1.  A big risk? Yes.  But if done correctly the payoff could be much bigger.  Country music fans are loyal radio listeners and Vancouver's JR Country proves this.  And like Toronto, Vancouver is a large multicultural city, but it also has a radio station that plays country music that is number one in the morning, and often in the top three for total listenership. 

March 24, 2022 3:16 pm  #5

I don’t listen to country music myself but I have often wondered why the only country stations in Toronto are actually from outside the city. One from Oshawa and one from Hamilton. If 102.1 flipped to country the signal would cover all of the area that the two KX stations cover. Get the right people in and it would be a ratings success. Currently it won’t cost much as there really is only 2 local shows on air now and I believe one of the hosts has country experience. Middays and evening hosts are from CFOX Vancouver. So it would only be the B team and the Kolter and Meredith show that would either be replaced or kept and moved to a country format.
Edge to me has felt like they have given up lately. Only 2 shows local. Everything else voicetracked and out of market. It’s like they saw Indie come in and take some listeners so they gave up and said take them all.
JR in Vancouver will get another good morning show I am sure and although there may be an adjustment I am positive that show will maintain number 1 or stay in the top 3.

March 24, 2022 7:08 pm  #6

Country would work for 102.1 but I doubt they'd end up much higher than where they already are positioned. Maybe another share point uptick. I'd bet most country listeners would not come from the City of Toronto proper, and therefore may be more inclined to stick with the KX stations they're already familiar with. 

March 24, 2022 9:04 pm  #7

torontostan wrote:

Country would work for 102.1 but I doubt they'd end up much higher than where they already are positioned. Maybe another share point uptick. I'd bet most country listeners would not come from the City of Toronto proper, and therefore may be more inclined to stick with the KX stations they're already familiar with. 

Corus would need to promote a country music station in Toronto a bit different than your average country outlet.  I am not a big country listener myself but I do admire how many country stations have a slick top 40 approach to presentation and many do this very well.  Lots of personality, jingles, interaction with listeners and fun. Most of all focus on current and recent country music, no twang or old gold from 50 years ago. 

Take a good hard look and listen to what JR Country does in Vancouver.  Everything on paper says they shouldn't be successful in a big, urban, wealthy, socially liberal and multicultural city. But they are successful and have been for years.  No doubt JR Country also has a lot of listeners outside of Vancouver in surrounding areas but the same would hold true for a station at 102.1 in Toronto.