sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 23, 2022 10:15 am  #1

Unhappy With CFRB Shows? Have Your Say In A Way They Can't Ignore

I'm not entirely sure just what an "Assistant Program Director" does, specifically, but there's a rare opening for one at NewsTalk 1010. According to a job ad on Bell's BCE site, the responsibilities include:

• Develop overall editorial strategy to deliver the most compelling content for all of Newstalk 1010’s programming
  • Be responsible for staff development and training of all editorial and technical staff
  • Coordinate and lead the editorial team with breaking news and special event coverage
  • Ensure each show is delivering its content to all platforms, including on-demand and social media
  • Coordinate news gathering and content requirements in conjunction with CTV News and other Bell Media platforms
  • Identify and collaborate on revenue generating content ideas with the Programming and Sales team

What interests me about those descriptions is "training of editorial" staff, something many here have commented rarely happens at stations any more these days. I actually like the sound of that. 

But as for the "coordinating of news gathering" - what news? They have almost no more news people at the station, and 90% of what airs there are CTV anchors reading copy and airing audio versions of TV reports. What, exactly is there to co-ordinate? Unless this means they plan to hire more radio news people sometime in the future. I would be surprised if that was the case, but it would certainly be a welcome trend.

Anyway, if this is something you think you'd like to try for, here's where you can apply before April 1st:

Assistant Program Director, Newstalk 1010, Bell Media

March 24, 2022 9:46 am  #2

Re: Unhappy With CFRB Shows? Have Your Say In A Way They Can't Ignore

A local news splurge just in time for the provincial election does make some sense, but this is Bell...if it can be done cheaper...it will.

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.