sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 22, 2022 4:11 pm  #1

When CHIC Brampton Was "Where The Girls Are"

It's not really much of an in-depth article, but a local Mississauga community newspaper recalls the day when AM 790 was known as CHIC, and had among the first all-female on-air crew. It didn't last long and the station became more famous for its FM counterpart - CFNY, now owned by Corus. 

The all-girl format, as it was called, didn't last long but a lot of very well-known people got their first big exposure at CHIC, including Ted Woloshyn, Mark Elliot, and Kevin Nelson, Jay Nelson's son, who went on to have a huge career as a morning man in Ottawa.

And then there were others who didn't do quite as well, including a guy named Barry Kentner, who used to do a talk show at the station in the 70s. I happened to be listening the day he made what has to be one of the dumbest comments I've ever heard on radio. In a discussion about the rights of women, he turned on his mic and boldly proclaimed, "The only good thing about Women's Lib is that it has made it acceptable for men to carry umbrellas." 

And no, he wasn't joking. 

Unfortunately, the piece makes no mention of the former owners of the place, which was located in a small house in Brampton. The Allen Brothers were quite a pair and their legacy of extreme cheapness used to be the stuff of legend. If I recall correctly, one of them ended up in jail over a stock fraud and they lost the ownership of the station. 

Perhaps there's a separate article or two on those two guys yet to come...

The time when a Brampton radio station was first to use only women DJs

March 23, 2022 9:59 am  #2

Re: When CHIC Brampton Was "Where The Girls Are"

Cheap? No doubt about that!

The late Wes Atkinson told me that after finishing his 6-10 a.m. morning shift at CHIC, one of the owners motioned Wes to follow him outside. They wound up in the parking lot. The owner pointed at the fading lines and said, "We're paying you for eight hours. Would you mind getting some paint and painting the lines?"

Wes departed the station and never came back.

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

March 23, 2022 10:01 am  #3

Re: When CHIC Brampton Was "Where The Girls Are"

Yes, the stories about the brothers I've heard are legendary. That sounds just like something I've heard they would do.