sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 18, 2022 7:19 am  #1

Consultant Behind "Today" Radio Rebrand Talks About The New Format

The recent change at 93.5 FM was apparently in the works for over a year. 

The thinking was people like hearing themselves on radio, but were tired of constantly being bombarded by topics like COVID, divisive politics and the war in Ukraine. Instead, they decided to concentrate on things ranging from "how weird it is that milk is sold in bags to mishaps with texting the wrong person."

“We looked at it like, ‘what’s going on in the world, what’s going on in the internet?’” he says. “If you look on Reddit and all these platforms, there are a lot of back and forth conversations about topics that catch peoples’ attention.” The agency then asked itself, “what do radio stations look like in an internet era?”

Today Radio builds itself around companionship and conversation

March 18, 2022 9:35 am  #2

Re: Consultant Behind "Today" Radio Rebrand Talks About The New Format

A couple of things that TODAY will need to watch out for will be that the topics don't become predictably un predictable.  All of the topics can't be quirky little incidents that happen to people or too unbelievable.  Most conversations I have heard are believable and sound like they are real callers.  When TODAY first came on a month ago the calls sounded staged.  

Also they should get serious occasionally or touch on heavier topics if the circumstances of the day warrant.  They shouldn't ignore the obvious and be topical. But generally the purpose of the station generally is fun and to keep things light and friendly.   

One thing they are doing well in my opinion is the fact that they do name drop Toronto locations or at least the callers do.  Showing that the conversations are with listeners in the GTA that relate local areas  local people or businesses is always a good thing. 

I think the announcers should talk more about the music or what they have played.  This is lacking in so many radio shows now.  TODAY is playing some interesting cuts but there is never anything said about the song or artist which is wrong in my opinion, especially during live shows.

Too many shows because of voice tracking or no host just run a bunch of songs together with no reference about what has been played.  People still like to hear information or facts about a song or artists.   Where are all the young Roger Ashby's out there??  Seems odd when music oriented stations almost never talk about the music or the artist they have just played.  Just having the song title come up on your car radio doesn't cut it.  

March 18, 2022 11:36 am  #3

CFOX in Vancouver does quite a bit of discussion about stuff being discussed on Reddit, particularly the local sub. If there’s a weird or offbeat post there, chances are someone on CFOX will be talking about it the next day.

It does make for good local radio in the modern era, and will likely work out well in Toronto, which also has a highly active local subreddit.

Last edited by MJ Vancouver (March 18, 2022 11:37 am)

March 18, 2022 11:48 am  #4

paterson1 wrote:

I think the announcers should talk more about the music or what they have played.  This is lacking in so many radio shows now.  TODAY is playing some interesting cuts but there is never anything said about the song or artist which is wrong in my opinion, especially during live shows.

One of the reasons they're not is that the breaks from almost every show are recycled into other dayparts (and in some cases other stations.)  I wouldn't be surprised if they're banking more evergreen breaks to use again months down the line.

Also, many of the breaks that sound "live" aren't; they're pre-taped with actors.

For better or worse, it's a completely different approach to announcer content.

March 18, 2022 12:15 pm  #5

I dont know if its just me, as a radio lover and music lover I cant stand hearing talk about nonsense.  Yes, do talk about the music (which nobody does unless its a music show presentation these days, known as a PODCAST).   If its music, focus on music otherwise ill be listening to CFRB for the talking and it aint nonsense eitheir.

March 18, 2022 12:23 pm  #6

RadioAaron wrote:

paterson1 wrote:

One of the reasons they're not is that the breaks from almost every show are recycled into other dayparts (and in some cases other stations.)  I wouldn't be surprised if they're banking more evergreen breaks to use again months down the line.

Also, many of the breaks that sound "live" aren't; they're pre-taped with actors.

For better or worse, it's a completely different approach to announcer content.

When stations (especially those owned by the media giants) start doing everything for self serving interests and not the audience is when people stop tuning in.  This is one reason why radio ratings have been sliding for years.  To have music stations that are always promoting that they are the hit music station or play the best music and then almost never talk about what they are playing or anything about the artists makes no sense.

Yes you are saving money but you are doing so with fewer and fewer listeners.  There also comes a point where advertisers will wonder if these fewer listeners are even potential customers anymore who would buy their products.  

March 18, 2022 12:59 pm  #7

I don't expect stations with the same format as Today will want to focus on really serious topics for too long. People probably want a break from that sometimes, and if they really want to hear the machinations at the provincial legislature or in Ottawa, they can just turn the dial there.