sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 25, 2022 2:25 pm  #1

Former Location Of Q107 To Close At End Of May

It's the iconic Hudson's Bay building at the corner of Yonge and Bloor, which has been there for 50 years. When I first heard about the company, Canada's oldest, giving up the prime location, I tried to recall its ties to radio. And then it came to me - Q107 occupied one of those floors from its sign-on in June 1977 until it moved in 1992. 

In fact, Q moved several times before ending up at Corus Quay. (Weren't they also famously in the Hard Rock Cafe on Yonge St. for a while?) 

Anyway, another legendary location with a radio tie-in is about to morph again. More condos or something else? 

Stay tuned.  

Hudson’s Bay store at Bloor-Yonge to close May 31

February 25, 2022 4:36 pm  #2

Re: Former Location Of Q107 To Close At End Of May

A lot of famous radio addresses are long gone. 

We all recall when 1331 Yonge St., once the home of CHUM, was torn down for condos. CFRB's nearby HQ at Yonge and St. Clair has also been vacated. (I never thought I'd live to see the day when these one-time rivals would not only be owned by the same company but wind up in the same location.)

CKEY used to be at the top of the Star Building at 1 Yonge St. (25th floor.) They're long gone and now the Star is also leaving its longtime home. 

CFNY was once in a tiny house in Brampton. 

CFMJ 640 started life as CFGM, atop a restaurant in Richmond Hill.

CFTR hasn't been at 25 Adelaide St. E. (was it the 11th or the 13th floor?) in decades.

And of course, CKFH's Grenville St. location was torn down a while ago. (Its successor, CJCL, was at 464 Yonge St., not far from Grenville, but it's also a lost location.)

February 25, 2022 4:51 pm  #3

RadioActive wrote:

And of course, CKFH's Grenville St. location was torn down a while ago. (Its successor, CJCL, was at 464 Yonge St., not far from Grenville, but it's also a lost location.)

Whatever became of 40 Holly street? Former home of CJCL, long before Rogers bought them and moved sports down the dial to 590?

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

February 25, 2022 4:55 pm  #4

RadioActive wrote:

CFRB's nearby HQ at Yonge and St. Clair has also been vacated. (I never thought I'd live to see the day when these one-time rivals would not only be owned by the same company but wind up in the same location.)

Vacated, but not abandoned. Today 93.5 FM and Boom 97.3 still broadcast from there. 
(two stations that also did not exist when CFRB and CKFM originally broadcasted from there, but at least the space is still going to good use)

February 25, 2022 5:08 pm  #5

I have no idea where I get this stuff but for some reason, it's in my archives. Please do not call the numbers - they're long out of service and who knows who has them now!

From 1963:

February 25, 2022 5:46 pm  #6

RadioActive wrote:

I have no idea where I get this stuff but for some reason, it's in my archives. Please do not call the numbers - they're long out of service and who knows who has them now!

From 1963:

Out of all those broadcasters, only CFTO is still at that location, though the address was later changed to 9 Channel Nine Court.

Another famous radio address that is long gone is the CBC. However, if I’m not mistaken, they were not at the same location as CBLT back then? I may be thinking of CBC in another city.

February 25, 2022 6:00 pm  #7

How well I remember that CHUM switchboard number.

When I was a kid, and 1050 was airing its nightly "Battle of the New Sounds" - in which you could win a 45 for calling in - the number they gave out was always busy and very hard to get through to. So I thought I'd found the perfect workaround, and would call the CHUM switchboard instead to give my vote. 

The long-suffering receptionist there was nice to an obviously little kid and station fan and would dutifully pretend to take my choice, which I'm pretty sure went nowhere. It certainly never won me anything!

Finally, after about a week of this, she said something like "I'm sorry sir," (imagine calling someone that age "sir") "but this isn't the right number for the contest. You'll have to call the regular line." 

And with that, my ideal cheat ended. Still remember doing it, though. 

February 25, 2022 6:03 pm  #8

Q107 (and AM640, back it was known as the Beat of Toronto and later Talk 640), also broadcast from the Yonge-Norton Centre, around Yonge and Finch in North York, for a while.

I believe the "Jesse and Gene Way" street sign, put up when Jesse and Gene were doing mornings on Q, is still up somewhere in that area.

February 25, 2022 6:06 pm  #9

MJ Vancouver wrote:

Out of all those broadcasters, only CFTO is still at that location, though the address was later changed to 9 Channel Nine Court.

Another famous radio address that is long gone is the CBC. However, if I’m not mistaken, they were not at the same location as CBLT back then? I may be thinking of CBC in another city.

I have often wondered how CFTO ended up in what at the time was the middle of nowhere. When they first set up shop in Agincourt, it was tough to get to, far away from everything, and they didn't have the advantage of satellites or a downtown HQ at 299 Queen St. W. 

Was it the amount of land they needed or the cheaper cost that led to the site? Either way, it's still a long way out. 

And then there's Global's Don Mills studios. I've been there and it's quite literally in the middle of a neighbourhood. You've got all these residential houses, a strip plaza or two and then all of sudden, from out of nowhere, a gigantic TV station. It's probably the last place I would have expected to find something like that. But there it remains, all these years later.

February 25, 2022 6:07 pm  #10

RadioActive wrote:

From 1963:

I remember calling CHUM's at 925-6666 about 5 years back. At the time, it was still used by CHUM/Bell Media as a main line for their radio offices. Not sure if that's the same now.

February 25, 2022 6:24 pm  #11

Radio.Intern wrote:

I remember calling CHUM's at 925-6666 about 5 years back. At the time, it was still used by CHUM/Bell Media as a main line for their radio offices. Not sure if that's the same now.

This number is still very much in service, but calling it gets you the old recording from a time when Bell owned Flow for a short time.
This makes me wonder if leaving a message on their customer comment line will fall on deaf ears as what might well be an abandoned and forgotten line that Bell may have forgotten they own. 

February 25, 2022 7:01 pm  #12

RadioActive wrote:

MJ Vancouver wrote:

I have often wondered how CFTO ended up in what at the time was the middle of nowhere. When they first set up shop in Agincourt, it was tough to get to, far away from everything, and they didn't have the advantage of satellites or a downtown HQ at 299 Queen St. W. 

Was it the amount of land they needed or the cheaper cost that led to the site? Either way, it's still a long way out. 

And then there's Global's Don Mills studios. I've been there and it's quite literally in the middle of a neighbourhood. You've got all these residential houses, a strip plaza or two and then all of sudden, from out of nowhere, a gigantic TV station. It's probably the last place I would have expected to find something like that. But there it remains, all these years later.

I came across an old article from March 2001 from Playback concerning CFTO TV's 40th anniversary.  It says that 20 acres were purchased out in Agincourt for a little over $132,000 to construct the original facility that included three studios. They must have eventually bought more land since other stories and wiki have it that the CFTO facilities sit on about 32 acres.  CFTO has had three or four additions to the original building and facilities over the years.

Also interesting for the evening news CFTO clobbered everyone back in 2001. Average minute during the 6pm news CFTO had 331,000 viewers, Global who was second 188,000, City tv 97,000 and CBC 93,000.  CFTO had an average total viewership of 403,000 for their 6pm news package.  I wonder what the ratings look like now?
https://playbackonline.ca/2001/03/05/cftoadsupplement-20010305/4/ 

Last edited by paterson1 (February 25, 2022 7:04 pm)

February 25, 2022 7:03 pm  #13

Radiowiz wrote:

Radio.Intern wrote:

This number is still very much in service, but calling it gets you the old recording from a time when Bell owned Flow for a short time.
This makes me wonder if leaving a message on their customer comment line will fall on deaf ears as what might well be an abandoned and forgotten line that Bell may have forgotten they own. 

Oh wow, is Ingrid Schumacher still the voice on the recording? I swear it was her voice at one point.... pretty wild and amazing if that's still the case. 

February 25, 2022 8:40 pm  #14

torontostan wrote:

paterson1 wrote:

Also interesting for the evening news CFTO clobbered everyone back in 2001. Average minute during the 6pm news CFTO had 331,000 viewers, Global who was second 188,000, City tv 97,000 and CBC 93,000.  CFTO had an average total viewership of 403,000 for their 6pm news package.  I wonder what the ratings look like now? https://playbackonline.ca/2001/03/05/cftoadsupplement-20010305/4/ 

The order was essentially the same as of few years ago: CFTO (including CP24 simulcast), CIII, CITY/CHCH, CKVR, CBLT - in that order. I had a brief sales stint with access to some figures back then and couldn't believe how low CBC's audience was. It's no wonder they don't have local newscasts on the weekends anymore... nobody's watching! CBC Radio on the other-hand I support, but let's not get everyone rattled. If you're interested I can try to find the spreadsheets.

Hahaha...if you find them it would be interesting to see some more up to date numbers. The numbers for local news and programming used to be more accessible but i haven't seen anything for many years.  CFTO used to take out full page ads in the Star with their noon and evening news numbers against all of the local competition. We also never see any ratings for the various news channels like CP24, CTV and CBC. 

February 25, 2022 8:55 pm  #15

paterson1 wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

MJ Vancouver wrote:

I came across an old article from March 2001 from Playback concerning CFTO TV's 40th anniversary.  It says that 20 acres were purchased out in Agincourt for a little over $132,000 to construct the original facility that included three studios. They must have eventually bought more land since other stories and wiki have it that the CFTO facilities sit on about 32 acres.  CFTO has had three or four additions to the original building and facilities over the years.

Also interesting for the evening news CFTO clobbered everyone back in 2001. Average minute during the 6pm news CFTO had 331,000 viewers, Global who was second 188,000, City tv 97,000 and CBC 93,000.  CFTO had an average total viewership of 403,000 for their 6pm news package.  I wonder what the ratings look like now?

Patterson 1:   I think the article you were reading had the numbers for the CFTO acreage confused...   When originally constructed, the CFTO site also included the transmission tower and the separate transmitter building. The tower was dismantled in 1976 after transmission facilities had transitioned the the CN Tower, and the land allotted for the original tower site was sold and subsequently developed into residential housing.

Over the years, five additional studios were built/constructed on the CFTO site. Studio 6 had an ice refrigeration system installed in 1977 for "Stars on Ice". Studio 8 was the big stage.

In 1990, Studio 2 and Studio 3 were re-designed to accommodate the CTV National newsroom. In the spring/summer of 1998, Studio 3 was modified to house CTV News3 / NewsNet (remember the rotating anchor desk?)

At the same time in 1998, the "Annex" (former set construction/storage building) on the rear of the site was repurposed for the Sports3 (later CTV SportsNet) newsroom, control rooms, and Master Control facilities.

Later in the mid 2000s (NetStar acquisition era) when TSN and Discovery were relocated to the McCowan Rd site, a new physical two storey addition was built on the area that was the original west parking lot area.

RA:  Global's bunker on Barber Greene Road was the original manufacturing facility for Barber Greene Steel, a manufacturer of highway paving and construction equipment. There was a CP rail line at the rear of the building, and in its heyday, the rail line could be switched to pass thru the rear factory area. Two large roll up doors were on opposite ends of the building for the rail spur line. (There were also galvanizing dip tanks in the factory floor for treating the steel. Those were filled in when Global took the site over).

The original Barber Greene Steel building dates from the early 1930s. The plant was temporarily converted to wartime production during WWII.

The neighbourhood developed around the Barber Greene Steel building in the late 50s / early 60s. 

Global acquired the site in '72, and it was extensively renovated. Global launched on January 6th, 1974 and signed on from 81 Barber Greene Rd.  Originally, Global only had the smaller studio and newsroom area. Master Control was originally on the first floor adjacent to the newsroom and served dual function. It was MCR, but could also do lite production by switching on air sources via a bypass switcher. The second floor MCR was completed in 1975. As well, the two larger production studios (1 and 2) were also constructed and technical fit out was completed in 1975.

Last edited by Glen Warren (February 25, 2022 8:58 pm)

February 25, 2022 10:26 pm  #16

paterson1 wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

MJ Vancouver wrote:

Quite a few TV stations back then built their studios and transmission tower out in the country, and in some cases the cities grew around them.

CFPL London was one good example, out in Westminster Township when it started in 1953 - while the co-owned CFPL Radio and the London Free Press remained downtown. CKVR Barrie and CHEX Peterborough are other examples in Ontario, and in Western Canada, you’ll pass the studios and tower for CKCK (CTV O&O) on the Trans-Canada Highway just before you arrive in Regina.

February 25, 2022 10:50 pm  #17

Thanks for the information torontostan it is interesting to see some numbers that are a little more current even if if they are six years old. I was surprised that CHCH showed up so well for their news, not that far behind City. And CBC locally dreadful. CBC News Network does beat CTV News Channel  which is a little surprising since on the main networks CTV always is way ahead. .   

I have always heard that CP24 did well and their morning numbers certainly reflect this. Doubly impressive since they are Ontario only.  All of the news channels as you say will have higher numbers if you added in all of the offices, bars, waiting rooms etc that have them on all day.  Just this week I had an appointment at Guelph General Hospital and was in a waiting room for about 15 minutes, they had two large monitors on with CTV News Channel, and people were watching. 

Thanks again for digging up the numbers.  

Last edited by paterson1 (February 25, 2022 10:51 pm)

February 26, 2022 1:32 pm  #18

Bentwater wrote:

"CFGM, atop a restaurant in Richmond Hill."

CFGM, when I was there in the 80s, was located at 11250 Yonge Street in Richmond Hill above a pharmacy and across the road from a restaurant.

Sounds like an interesting time/place. It looks like it was called "Mackenzie Pharmacy".

February 26, 2022 4:56 pm  #19

MJ Vancouver wrote:

Quite a few TV stations back then built their studios and transmission tower out in the country, and in some cases the cities grew around them.

CFPL London was one good example, out in Westminster Township when it started in 1953 - while the co-owned CFPL Radio and the London Free Press remained downtown. CKVR Barrie and CHEX Peterborough are other examples in Ontario, and in Western Canada, you’ll pass the studios and tower for CKCK (CTV O&O) on the Trans-Canada Highway just before you arrive in Regina.

Another example in eastern Ontario was channel 5 Pembroke, CHOV-TV and more recently CHRO-TV.  The vacant studio building and the tower are still there today on, appropriately, TV Tower Road, in what's now part of Laurentian Valley Township, just outside of Pembroke; I believe the station's address had been on nearby Forest Lea Road upon sign-on in August 1961.  There was also North Bay's CTV station on channel 10, which had been way down in Callander - halfway between Powassan and downtown North Bay! - in its early years; the studio building, off Highway 11 near the old Callander Bay Lookout, is still standing, or at least it was in 2015, according to Google Earth's newest images for that area.

CHEX's OTA transmitter is still on the hill on Television Road, but the studio building was demolished in the late 2000s, a couple of years after the current tower went live.  Former CHEX employee Paul Burke and GM Ron Johnston (yes, the former CKCO newsman) once went through the vacant "1925 Television Road" in the mid 2000s and posted the video tour to YouTube, but it's not on there anymore... interesting to see that awesome '90s newsroom pretty much empty but with the blue & white slat map backdrop still intact behind the anchor desk. Oh, and Johnston spotting a bunch of old Betacam SP tapes and a VTR or two, and joking about "[Graham Hart] going through the archives" for his Flashback segments on NewsWatch.

February 26, 2022 8:40 pm  #20

Bentwater wrote:

"CFGM, atop a restaurant in Richmond Hill."

CFGM, when I was there in the 80s, was located at 11250 Yonge Street in Richmond Hill above a pharmacy and across the road from a restaurant.

I don't intend to correct you, RadioActive.  Maybe a restaurant predated the pharmacy?

Always feel free to correct wrong info! I'm so far from perfect, I can't even find it with a roadmap. (Besides, it would probably be the wrong map.)

I heard from someone who worked there that it was above a restaurant. Perhaps he misspoke or didn't say it correctly. Or may be I misremembered it. Either way, atop a pharmacy was an odd place for a radio station. At least when the ratings came in, you weren't very far from being able to get an aspirin if you needed it!

One place that definitely WAS above a restaurant was CJCL when it was at 464 Yonge St. The station was on the second floor of the building and the diner was below it. It was never a problem until one night, long after the eatery was closed, these mysterious and foul smelling fumes started wafting their way up into the AM 1430 control room.

No one knew what it was, but it sure didn't smell good. I remember John Oakley (yes, that John Oakley) was doing overnights back then and phoned the guy in charge, Clint Nickerson, at home to find out what was going on. 

Clint made a few phone calls then hurriedly dialed John back. "They're fumigating the restaurant and nobody told us!" he revealed. "That stuff is toxic and you shouldn't be breathing it in!" So what, asked Oakley, am I supposed to do now? I have an all-night gig to do.

Nickerson told him to wind up a tape of any prerecorded show - anything - start it, and leave. Then keep coming back once an hour when it's almost over and start the next one, while cueing up the one that follows. Which meant he had to spend most of the shift in an all night diner across the street, going back to the studio every hour for the next 5 hours or so to keep the station on the air. (They had no automation in those days, or he could have just taken the night off.)

And THAT'S why you should never, ever put a radio station in a building that also houses a restaurant! 

February 27, 2022 2:28 pm  #21

Can't remember what CFNY was above when I went there in 1981 to interview Pete Griffin when they were on Kennedy Road in Brampton, but when I worked at CKMP in Midland 1984-1985, we were above Dominion Shoes. No noxious fumes, even when people were trying on shoes.

February 27, 2022 10:58 pm  #22

I worked at CFGM from 1972 to 1974, just after Allan Slaight bought it, and it definitely was on the second floor with MacKenzie Pharmacy on the ground floor.  We usually came up the stairs at the back (where we could park) and entered that way. My ole CHUM pal Dave Johnson was at CFGM when I got there and we had many, many lunches together a block down Yonge street at the 3 Coins Restaurant, which is still there.  The Richmond Hill Centre For the Performing Arts building now sits where the pharmacy and CFGM were.  

CKFH, after being bought by Telemedia, changed the calls to CJCL (the CL stood for Canadian Living, a magazine Telemedia published) and they moved to join us at Telemedia Network at 40 Holly Street.  CJCL was on the 7th floor and the network offices were on the 9th.  There's a colonoscopy clinic in that building now and when I go there every 5 years or so, I get that old feeling to head up to my office on the 9th floor.

Last edited by Doug Thompson (February 27, 2022 11:05 pm)

February 27, 2022 11:13 pm  #23

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't CHBM(Boom 97.3)based at Yonge & St. Clair?

February 28, 2022 1:04 am  #24

ckg927 wrote:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't CHBM(Boom 97.3)based at Yonge & St. Clair?

Both Boom 97.3 & Today 93.5 FM, yes. Just the Stingray stations. Bell moved the others out a while back.

February 28, 2022 2:07 pm  #25

Boom & Today now on the 20th floor at 2 St. Clair W in new studios. Moved from the second floor a while after Newcap bought and Bell moved out. Didn't need nearly as much floor space. I saw some of the demolition of the second floor. Unbelievable how much sand was on the floor and how much brick was also used for isolation.

February 28, 2022 6:55 pm  #26

The Weed wrote:

Boom & Today now on the 20th floor at 2 St. Clair W in new studios. Moved from the second floor a while after Newcap bought and Bell moved out. Didn't need nearly as much floor space. I saw some of the demolition of the second floor. Unbelievable how much sand was on the floor and how much brick was also used for isolation.

What are they using the second floor for now? & Is the rent less on the 20th floor? OR about the same with less square footage? Usually the higher the floor, the higher the rent...

February 28, 2022 8:22 pm  #27

Sorry, can't answer either of those questions directly. Originally, Shoppers Drug Mart was going to take over the second floor.