sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 1, 2015 7:02 pm  #1

Bill Carroll among 50 Most Influential talk show hosts in U.S.

Newsmax says Bill Carroll is number 5 on  its list of the top 50 most influential local talk radio hosts and shows in America for 2015.   http://www.newsmax.com/TheWire/influential-talk-radio-hosts-shows/2015/06/30/id/652849/

Bill Carroll's wife, Sylvie, posted the news on her Facebook page today: "Great news before going on holidays!!! Bravo Bill Carroll!!!! Only 5 years in this market! WOW!!"

Sylvie's right ... the kid from Scarborough who I thought was the best talk show host in Canada while at CFRB worked hard to be even better at KFI in Los Angeles. I was no longer his PD when Bill couldn't take all the BS thrown at him by CFRB management and accepted the job at KFI.

Bill left CFRB a few months after I was shown the door. Before leaving, I had made a deal with all Astral talk stations to syndicate Bill Carroll from noon to 2pm. Bill and I had agreed on moving him out of mornings to host 10am to noon in Toronto and noon to 2pm across Canada. I was to sit down with him about this change in schedule on the Friday of the week I was fired two days earlier. Management screwed up the deal by starting Bill at 9am and wanting to move up the time of the syndicated show to 11am. 

This didn't work becasue the stations had their own successful talk shows on air until noon. They didn't want to reduce the hours of their host to air a syndicated talk show that early in the day. It was always about starting at noon when their programming was filled with noon hour infomercials. They were okay with having a 2pm to 4pm show going into afternoon drive.

At the time I thought it was a big loss for Canadian radio when Bill left to go to LA. I have no doubt that Bill would have been a super star on Canadian radio with a syndicated show. 

So congrats Bill ... great news before going on vacation. 

Last edited by kowchmedia (July 1, 2015 7:06 pm)

July 1, 2015 7:25 pm  #2

Re: Bill Carroll among 50 Most Influential talk show hosts in U.S.

The cream always rises to the top.

Kind of makes me wonder what certain posters on the previous incarnation of this board would have to say about it.

Then again, maybe not.

July 1, 2015 7:34 pm  #3

Interesting also to note that the only "local" host on that list (and I use the term local advisedly) is Tom Bauerle from WBEN AM in Buffalo, a guy whose sanity has sometimes been questioned in the past few years. He clocks in at #33.

John & Ken, who come in at #1 on the list, once hosted a syndicated talk show that used to air in the evenings on WGR, long before it moved to all sports.

Last edited by RadioActive (July 1, 2015 10:05 pm)

July 2, 2015 9:37 am  #4

Congrats to Bill.  He's worked hard, and continues to work hard doing 2 daily M-F talk shows in two countries.  I'm exhausted just thinking about that achievement.

Jon & Ken, who were # 1 on this list do the afternoon show on KFI, same station as Bill.  Jon & Ken were once syndicated across the U.S. from LA.