sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 24, 2022 5:02 pm  #1

New Documentary To Profile Forgotten Network TV Talk Show Pioneer

It may not be fair to call him "forgotten," but when great talk show hosts are mentioned, Tom Snyder isn't always among them. Back when I was working the later shifts at work, I would get home around midnight and stay up to watch The Tomorrow Show on NBC. 

I always enjoyed his interviews and the sometime rambling pre-ambles that often preceded them. (That infamous laugh, the smoldering cigarette and those endless asides were perfectly lampooned by Dan Aykroyd on Saturday Night Live.) Now a soon-to-be-produced documentary, tentatively called "Tom Who," will be looking back at the man who had a varied broadcasting career, finding success in TV news, network radio and of course, his own late night talk show. 

No word on when it might be ready, but there's certainly no shortage of footage of his work and I'm guessing it will be well worthwhile. 

Late-Night TV Icon Tom Snyder Gets Documentary Treatment From ‘Maya Angelou: And Still I Rise” Co-Director And Snyder’s Daughter

February 24, 2022 5:07 pm  #2

Re: New Documentary To Profile Forgotten Network TV Talk Show Pioneer

Thanks for posting that.  I always enjoyed Snyder - was up a lot of late nights studying and watching his show in the 1973-76 period. Too bad he was ahead of his time.  I often found the content "PVR worthy". But then, only a handful of us had VCRs towards the end of his run on NBC.  I can remember the Akroyd parodies...one of his best targets.

Wasn't his sign off something like "Good night from those of us on the late shift from Southern California"

Last edited by tvguy (February 24, 2022 5:08 pm)

February 24, 2022 5:13 pm  #3

From the L.A. Times, just after Snyder passed away in 2007.

Tom Snyder, one of a kind

February 24, 2022 6:43 pm  #4

RadioActive wrote:

From the L.A. Times, just after Snyder passed away in 2007.

Tom Snyder, one of a kind

A favourite late night watch,  after coming off a 4-12 shift.  Looking forward to the documentary.

In the meantime,  “Fire up a colortini, sit back, relax, and watch the pictures, now, as they fly through the air.”

February 24, 2022 11:54 pm  #5

David Letterman calling in pretending to be all sorts of different people was always one of my favorite parts of his career.  Snyder was proudly old-fashioned but always likable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkH4JV0wpZE