sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 14, 2022 5:11 pm  #2

Re: CHUM circa 1965

Some of those stores and signs bought back a lot of memories;  in addition to the soundtrack.

February 14, 2022 5:23 pm  #3

Is that first pic in the video of Lawrence Plaza? I grew up close to there and it looks very familiar from the distance of an old memory.

Update: The answer, it turns out, is no. According to an old article in BlogTO, it's actually Humbertown Plaza at Royal York & Dundas, in 1961. Lawrence Plaza is significant in CHUM history, since I believe it's where Bob Laine was discovered doing announcements over the P.A.

This is what the place looked like way back then:

Last edited by RadioActive (February 14, 2022 6:07 pm)

February 14, 2022 6:19 pm  #4

Loved the shot of Yorkdale Shopping Centre.  I remember going to Yorkdale soon after the grand opening in 1964.

At the time it was the largest shopping mall in Canada, and one of the largest in the world at 1.2 million square feet.  Yorkdale was also the first indoor mall in Canada, and the largest enclosed mall in the world. Eaton's and Simpsons for the first time were under the same roof, and the two department stores built huge ultra modern locations.  Both also had large restaurants overlooking the mall at opposite ends. 

Even though Simpsons was the smaller of the two retail chains, many at the time were surprised that the new Simpsons store was very much an equal or even slightly more elegant and upscale than the brand new Eaton outlet.  

February 14, 2022 6:30 pm  #5

I lived a few blocks away from Yorkdale as a kid and we could easily walk to it. I remember going to Music World (right across from W.H. Smith & Sons bookstore) every week to get the CHUM Chart and - a few years later - the ones from CKFH. It's where most of the ones I still have came from.

The following link is for Paterson1 and anyone else who remembers the early days of the mall:

What Yorkdale looked in the 60s and 70s

February 14, 2022 6:34 pm  #6

Lots more CHUM here...

http://rockradioscrapbook.ca/chumbug.html

Last edited by Dale Patterson (February 14, 2022 6:35 pm)

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

February 14, 2022 7:49 pm  #7

RadioActive wrote:

I lived a few blocks away from Yorkdale as a kid and we could easily walk to it. I remember going to Music World (right across from W.H. Smith & Sons bookstore) every week to get the CHUM Chart and - a few years later - the ones from CKFH. It's where most of the ones I still have came from.

The following link is for Paterson1 and anyone else who remembers the early days of the mall:

Apparently on grand opening day in February 26 1964 over 100,000 people came out, which was more than expected.  The parking lot and mall were jammed all day and a few stores were still not finished for the opening.  This was also the first mall to be built beside a major highway intersection. Planners thought getting in and out of the parking lot would be easier.  In normal times Yorkdale has Canada's highest sales per square foot at $1,905.

Last edited by paterson1 (February 14, 2022 7:51 pm)

February 15, 2022 10:21 pm  #8

paterson1 wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

Apparently on grand opening day in February 26 1964 over 100,000 people came out, which was more than expected.  The parking lot and mall were jammed all day and a few stores were still not finished for the opening.  This was also the first mall to be built beside a major highway intersection. Planners thought getting in and out of the parking lot would be easier.  In normal times Yorkdale has Canada's highest sales per square foot at $1,905.

I remember that very well, even though I was only 11 at the time. Many more large malls would follow including the one closest to us, Sherway.

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram