sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 20, 2016 11:10 am  #1

CRTC Approves 1220 AM Oldies In St. Kitts, Denies AMer In Mississauga

The CRTC has approved the application for an oldies-based AM station to take the spot of the old CHSC at 1220 on the dial. It's not clear when the new entity will be up and running, but as noted in a previous thread, they're using the old CHSC sticks and pattern, so that should expedite the process. 

What's interesting about the announcement is that there was one intervention and it came from the new owners of the yet-to-air CJRK-FM in Scarborough. The objection? If the format tanks, they're convinced the licensee will convert over to all ethnic programming, like the former owners did. (A move that resulted in them losing their licence.)

But the new guy, one Sivanesarajah Kandia, noted he had nothing to do with the old company, has no intention of going the ethnic route, and that the condition of licence prevents him from airing more than 15% of such content in any event. And besides, this is a St. Catharines station, not one that's aiming at Toronto (or in this case, Scarborough.)

1220 Grapevine Radio has until April 2018 to be up and running. I suspect it won't take them anywhere near that long.  

CRTC Decision

Meanwhile, while they're celebrating in Niagara, at least one would-be owner is unhappy in Mississauga. An application for a new ethnic station at 1110 AM in Hazel McCallion's old stomping ground has been denied by the Commission. They weren't happy with any of the promises made, including devoting a large amount of programming to the Arabic language while ignoring other cultures. There were other objections you can read about here, but in the end it wouldn't have made much difference either way - the proposed power for the local outlet was to be just 5 watts day and night. They'd likely be better off going on the Internet and bypassing all the legalities, since with that anemic output, chances are no one would be able to hear them anyway.    

Last edited by RadioActive (April 20, 2016 11:20 am)

April 20, 2016 6:58 pm  #2

Re: CRTC Approves 1220 AM Oldies In St. Kitts, Denies AMer In Mississauga

In the future everyone will own Oldies 1220 for fifteen minutes

April 20, 2016 9:02 pm  #3

Nice to see it up and running again...

What goes around comes around...

I'm thinking about dusting off my ear phones and sending in my resume...

Are you with me on that one Old Codger ??

Let's get this party started !!!

My financial planner is 24 so why the hell not ????

Please don't tell me I can't....or shouldn't....

I told the Mrs. today I was going to get a hair transplant and buy one of those nifty little soft top Jeeps...

She got that info on our daily walk...

I was just teasing about that...

Just in case I get the job...how would you pronounce the station owners name ???

It's 1974 all over again !!!!!!!

Groovy Baby !!

Last edited by unclefester (April 21, 2016 7:43 pm)

April 20, 2016 11:38 pm  #4

unclefester wrote:

Nice to see it up and running again...
I'm thinking about dusting off my ear phones and sending in my resume...

Yes, Smart.
They might be looking for people who lived those times to function as radio announcers, I'm guessing...

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

April 21, 2016 9:53 am  #5

RadioActive wrote:

The CRTC has approved the application for an oldies-based AM station to take the spot of the old CHSC at 1220 on the dial . . . the new guy, one Sivanesarajah Kandia, noted he had nothing to do with the old company

When it comes to programming the Oldies, who's better than good ol' Sivanesarajah Kandia?

September 1, 2016 7:21 am  #6

So much for 1220's chances of hiring former CKOC staff.
Durham Radio inc beat them to it. The all new Grand 92.9 is on now on the air:
http://www.929thegrand.fm/index.php/on-air

September 1, 2016 8:53 am  #7

...but no Jason Farr though because he's too busy being a city Councilor now. 

September 1, 2016 9:09 am  #8

Didn't expect to be able to get the Grand's signal here in northern North York, and there's not a sniff of it here. But I've been listening online and the first several hours of their morning show have been devoted to radio reminiscing from the assembled crew, which included guests like Hamilton broadcast veterans Connie Smith, Ken Welch and Burt Thombs.

All of that was fun as these kind of radio reunions often are, but when the real programming begins at 9:29 am, I'm wondering about the playlist. According to a note on last month's FYImusic.ca, the license promises 40%(!) Can Con.

On an oldies station, you have to wonder how much Anne Murray, Andy Kim, Gordon Lightfoot and Guess Who you're going to be able to stand until you start running for the off switch. 

September 1, 2016 9:41 am  #9

RadioActive wrote:

On an oldies station, you have to wonder how much Anne Murray, Andy Kim, Gordon Lightfoot and Guess Who you're going to be able to stand until you start running for the off switch. 

Nope. Grand 92.9 is a "Greatest hits" station. "70's, 60's and 80's..."
Therefore, there's enough 80's music to help solve that problem.

I'd be more worried about 1220 when they sign on...

September 1, 2016 10:51 am  #10

Come on folks.  I'm willing to bet that 1220 "oldies" is the trojan horse for Thamil language programming which will have "live" staff.  The oldies hours will be likely automated - with little or no on-air staff.  Like the former CHSC "Radio UNO" before it, the money will be derived from ethnic airtime sales.   Don't get your hopes up....for English speaking announce staff finding jobs at 1220.

September 1, 2016 11:21 am  #11

Radiowiz wrote:

Nope. Grand 92.9 is a "Greatest hits" station. "70's, 60's and 80's..."
Therefore, there's enough 80's music to help solve that problem.

I'd be more worried about 1220 when they sign on...

Forty percent Can Con is still a huge burden, regardless of the years covered. That means just under half of everything they play will be Canadian. It's hard enough to find great stuff from those years without endless repetition. It's been my experience that it doesn't wear well after a few months. However, we'll see. I suspect the original owners committed to the 40% as a sop to the CRTC to get the licence. It sounds like a great idea in practice, until you have to actually deliver on it. Then you up the tune out factor by being forced to play the same things over and over and over. 

Remember the complaints that raged here when CHUM and CKOC were hovering around that format? And they were at just 30%. Just because it's on FM, doesn't mean this station will be any different. Still, I'm willing to give them a chance to prove me wrong. But my argument is they've already handcuffed themselves by making that big a commitment. 

September 1, 2016 11:24 am  #12

tvguy wrote:

Come on folks.  I'm willing to bet that 1220 "oldies" is the trojan horse for Thamil language programming which will have "live" staff.  The oldies hours will be likely automated - with little or no on-air staff.  Like the former CHSC "Radio UNO" before it, the money will be derived from ethnic airtime sales.   Don't get your hopes up....for English speaking announce staff finding jobs at 1220.

I'm willing to bet you're exactly right...

September 1, 2016 9:35 pm  #13

tvguy wrote:

unclefester wrote:

I'm willing to bet you're exactly right...

I'm willng to bet TVguy is a racist pig.