sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 7, 2022 11:58 am  #1

Agar in the AM?

John Moore mentioned he will be taking some time off before they aren't allowed to once the spring ratings are under way. Mr.Agar will be doing the morning show. I didn't hear exactly how long John will be off,or who will be doing the 9 to noon slot. Will Jerry be doing a double shift, or will it be someone that is in line with Jerry's take on the world? We'll see who it will (or won't) be tomorrow.

February 7, 2022 12:08 pm  #2

Re: Agar in the AM?

If I had to guess, it might be Mark Towhey, who has been filling in a lot lately. Just a guess, though. Matt Gurney of the National Post has radio experience (from his years at 640.) Tamara Cherry is also a possibility. So is Amanda Galbraith.

I wonder how Agar will do in that slot. The morning shift is a very different animal with a lot of moving parts. He's used to more time on his show, while the AM drive shift always seemed squeezed for time. He admitted in his early show preview at 8:45 AM that, while he's done mornings before, it's never happened during his time at 1010.

By the way, Moore says he's going to Miami during his time off. 

Meanwhile, you have dueling conservatives on the talk stations Monday. Alex Pierson will be filling in for Kelly Cutrara from 9 AM noon for the next two weeks. Who winds up on her 6:30 PM show is anyone's guess, but since 640 is chronically short of fill-ins, a good guess will be either the newly hired Pay Chen or the other regular irregular, Arlene Bynon.

February 7, 2022 12:51 pm  #3

RadioActive wrote:

.. I wonder how Agar will do in that slot. The morning shift is a very different animal with a lot of moving parts. He's used to more time on his show, while the AM drive shift always seemed squeezed for time. He admitted in his early show preview at 8:45 AM that, while he's done mornings before, it's never happened during his time at 1010.

Back when Rob Turner did his own 5-5:30am slot, I caught Agar filling in a few times.  Agar was poor .. the tighter timing of morning drive is much different than Agar's more verbose, pontification style on his 9am-noon slot.  Bill Carroll was the same; suited 9am-noon but just didn't fit morning drive.  

Last edited by g121 (February 7, 2022 12:51 pm)

February 7, 2022 3:02 pm  #4

Jerry Rogan...er, sorry Agar, just wants everything OPEN OPEN OPEN....like 2019.
He is a strong believer in the protests and even went down this weekend to support them.
Maybe he should ask the people in Ottawa about the biz disruption and 24/7 honking or better yet ask the families of the 50+people per day that have died over the last 30 days about OPEN OPEN OPEN! 

February 8, 2022 8:05 am  #5

With John Moore on vacation now, I REALLY miss being able to listen to Dave Trafford sitting in with his intelligent and cheery demeanor "welcome in!" and I especially miss Dave Trafford this morning.

Last edited by betaylored (February 8, 2022 8:11 am)

February 8, 2022 8:31 am  #6

betaylored wrote:

With John Moore on vacation now, I REALLY miss being able to listen to Dave Trafford sitting in with his intelligent and cheery demeanor "welcome in!" and I especially miss Dave Trafford this morning.

I normally listen to John Moore on Newstalk 1010 every morning.  I begrudgingly tolerate Agar's appearances on Moore's roundtables. 

With Agar guest hosting on Moore in the Morning today .. I gave it 45 minutes before I surrendered & flipped to Brady on am640.  Rob Turner tried to make it tolerable but even he couldn't make Agar palatable.

& yes, Dave Trafford is really missed .. 

February 8, 2022 3:17 pm  #7

I turned on Agar at the end of his show once.  He finished up with a segment called "What We've Learned".  It sounded quite condescending to me.  Not for me.  I would think your drive time people would need to have a broader appeal than him.

Last edited by Leslieville Bill (February 8, 2022 3:18 pm)

- Not an industry person.  Just a guy with a love of Toronto radio. 

February 8, 2022 4:16 pm  #8

I used to check NT 1010 for news updates but no more.  Will go to 680 even though you only get 5 to 6 minutes of hard news in a 10 minute period at the top & bottom of the hour. During the early morning I prefer CBC-1 for World Report as well as Metro Morning and will check what John Moore is talking about on the Roundtables. At the noon hour my first choice is Fight Back with Libby Znaimer on AM 740 with fewer commercial breaks than either 1010 or 640,  Second choice is Ontario Today on CBC-1 and third choice Evan Solomon on 1010. If I happen to be in the car at either 6PM or 11PM I would listen to the CTV news on 1010 but my time tuned to 1010 has dropped off considerably. I avoid Jerry Agar at all costs.  Message to Bell:  Please replace Agar and Richards with Peter Shurman, Tom Mulcare and Leslie Roberts.,

February 8, 2022 4:35 pm  #9

mojo55 wrote:

I used to check NT 1010 for news updates but no more.  Will go to 680 even though you only get 5 to 6 minutes of hard news in a 10 minute period at the top & bottom of the hour. During the early morning I prefer CBC-1 for World Report as well as Metro Morning and will check what John Moore is talking about on the Roundtables. At the noon hour my first choice is Fight Back with Libby Znaimer on AM 740 with fewer commercial breaks than either 1010 or 640,  Second choice is Ontario Today on CBC-1 and third choice Evan Solomon on 1010. If I happen to be in the car at either 6PM or 11PM I would listen to the CTV news on 1010 but my time tuned to 1010 has dropped off considerably. I avoid Jerry Agar at all costs.  Message to Bell:  Please replace Agar and Richards with Peter Shurman, Tom Mulcare and Leslie Roberts.,  

Almost full agreement .. Agar and Richards can go; for very different reasons but i can't listen to either ..  adding Mulcair & Roberts would be fine but my view of Shurman dropped materially due to his Covid stance. 

February 8, 2022 7:37 pm  #10

Imagine the brain activity of the Bell authority who decided that Agar, Towhey and Richards were a great idea. 

"Let's shovel mouldering shit in the audience's mouth. They'll call it filet mignon"

February 9, 2022 9:32 am  #11

g121 wrote:

.. I gave it 45 minutes before I surrendered & flipped to Brady on am640 .. 

LOL .. I can't win.  Someone needs to tell Brady to take a breath.  Wind him up & non-stop covid soapbox pontification .. exact same schtick as yesterday.

I'll catch the news at CFTR am680 .. then over to Music City Roadhouse : )) .. 
  https://onlineradiobox.com/us/musiccity/?cs=us.musiccity&played=1

February 9, 2022 9:33 am  #12

Richards inane mumbling doesn't even deserve to be on a small station in the Northern woods.
Towhey has been fired everywhere...only thing he can reference is his "military" background...
Agar's OPEN OPEN OPEN mostly for a bunch of restaurateurs who put far too much borrowed $$$ in their interiors (Buca) and expect us to pay for it. Don't care about these people. Don't forget, Agar's son is in the restaurant biz in covid-laced Texas

Last edited by peter (February 9, 2022 9:37 am)

February 9, 2022 2:36 pm  #13

I think this really shows the lack of depth in the bench.

When Moore took time off for a month - 1010 had Dave Trafford, Jon Pole and the guys from the Rush fill in.   It was smooth and consistent w/ the regular sound of the show.

Last edited by RadioQuiz (February 9, 2022 2:39 pm)

February 11, 2022 9:43 pm  #14

One more morning of listening limbo until John Moore returns on Tuesday.

February 12, 2022 8:43 pm  #15

betaylored wrote:

One more morning of listening limbo until John Moore returns on Tuesday.

One man's listening limbo is another's teabag torrent.

But for those others, and they measure in the dozens, they got their fill.

February 15, 2022 4:54 pm  #16

Agar attacks his own in a Toronto Sun column. I'm sure this won't go over well. 

It's no wonder trust in media is declining

February 15, 2022 5:05 pm  #17

Toronto Sun is a prominent Toronto newspaper and J. Agar is a prominent Toronto radio personality.    Col. Tom Parker famously said there's no such thing as bad publicity (but he might have added that its easier to get any publicity in Windsor or Detroit, according to a post here earlier today)     

February 15, 2022 6:52 pm  #18

geo wrote:

Toronto Sun is a prominent Toronto newspaper and J. Agar is a prominent Toronto radio personality.    Col. Tom Parker famously said there's no such thing as bad publicity (but he might have added that its easier to get any publicity in Windsor or Detroit, according to a post here earlier today)     

The article from the prominent Toronto radio personality in the prominent Toronto newspaper has got absolutely nothing to do with what I was talking about....

February 15, 2022 7:03 pm  #19

paterson1 wrote:

The article from the prominent Toronto radio personality in the prominent Toronto newspaper has got absolutely nothing to do with what I was talking about....

"GTA media is pathetic covering local radio"  11:09 a.m. today . . . 

February 15, 2022 7:06 pm  #20

geo wrote:

paterson1 wrote:

"GTA media is pathetic covering local radio"  11:09 a.m. today . . . 

His article has got nothing to do with what my post was about. 

February 15, 2022 8:03 pm  #21

paterson1 wrote:

His article has got nothing to do with what my post was about. 

"Deny, deny, deny" -- Donald J. Trump