sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 5, 2022 8:34 pm  #1

The Voice That Intros Every CTV Newscast In The Country

Ever wonder who the voice is that intros the CTV National News With Lisa LaFlamme and the local CTV newscasts across the country? It used to be former SOWNY contributor Lee Marshall. But now it's a guy named David Tyler, a former Montreal radio jock, who has quite the voice - and voiceover career - going. 

In the included video, he talks about the CTV National News extro he made that's never been used. 

The voice behind CTV News & More, David Tyler

February 7, 2022 12:26 am  #2

Re: The Voice That Intros Every CTV Newscast In The Country

Very interesting! Curious, does anyone know who does the voiceover work for Newstalk 1010?

February 7, 2022 7:14 am  #3

Interesting that CTV Vancouver and Winnipeg uses different voiceover people, they don't use David Tyler. I don't know their names unfortunately. 

February 8, 2022 1:24 pm  #4

ED1 wrote:

Interesting that CTV Vancouver and Winnipeg uses different voiceover people, they don't use David Tyler. I don't know their names unfortunately. 

CIVT uses Jim Conrad, and I believe the voice on CKY is Bill Courage.

February 8, 2022 5:03 pm  #5

Here in the Ottawa area, CJOH doesn't even have a VO for their newscasts, just the anchors' VOs at the start, then the brief CTV local news theme, and into the cast itself.  When CJOH was still on Merivale, their newscast VOs were by a woman, and prior to that, the station's main "booth announcer", a J.J. Clarke sound-a-like, from the '80s & '90s.

February 9, 2022 3:43 am  #6

HD1 wrote:

ED1 wrote:

CIVT uses Jim Conrad, and I believe the voice on CKY is Bill Courage.

Jim Conrad used to be everywhere.  Many years ago I called him to inquire about his services.  He said he was busy and got me off the phone in under ten seconds and was rather unfriendly.  Then I contacted David Tyler who couldn't have been nicer, and I ended up using him for several years.  I had been debating between the two and was very happy with my decision.  David Kaye is another fantastic Canadian voice.

February 9, 2022 11:13 am  #7

Forward Power wrote:

Here in the Ottawa area, CJOH doesn't even have a VO for their newscasts, just the anchors' VOs at the start, then the brief CTV local news theme, and into the cast itself.  When CJOH was still on Merivale, their newscast VOs were by a woman, and prior to that, the station's main "booth announcer", a J.J. Clarke sound-a-like, from the '80s & '90s.

A sound-a-like? Darn, I always assumed that was JJ Clarke himself.

Also in Ottawa, I remember The New RO in the late 90s had a VO that sounded like Mark Dailey, but it was definitely a sound-a-like - the voice was just a little off, and of course Dailey had a one-of-a-kind voice that I doubt anyone else could ever perfectly replicate.

Dave Devall (or another sound-a-like?) not only did CFTO’s news VOs in the 80s through to the early 2000s, but he also VOed the intros on CFPL London during the years it was owned by Baton in the 90s.