sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 29, 2016 3:12 pm  #1

New GTA Station Running Out Of Time To Launch - & Facing New Hurdle

Remember when the CRTC granted a licence for a news/talk station at 960 AM in Mississauga? That was five years ago (!) and CKNT (which I still maintain is perhaps the most unfortunate set of call letters ever chosen or assigned) is STILL not on the air.

Apparently, finding a transmitter site has been the biggest hurdle and after endless extensions by the Commission, they only have until November 30 of this year to get up and running - or else. With September now just days away, this doesn’t leave much time.

But now there’s a new wrinkle in this story of the little station that couldn't. While the interminable wait for this thing to actually hit air has gone on and on and on, the CRTC granted a licence to something called Radio Humsafar, a South Asian program provider, for a station at 1350 AM in Brampton (the old CKLB/CKDO Oshawa spot.) They have until Oct. 2017 to get their signal out.

The problem? The engineers at CKNT think they’ve finally found the perfect spot for their tower, but it’s less than 3 miles away from the Brampton newcomer, and earlier this month, Radio Humsafar wrote the CRTC warning that if the Mississauga newcomer interferes with their signal, it’s up to CKNT to pay for fixing the problem.

The Mississauga neighbour’s response? “Interference between the two radio stations is unlikely,” its lawyers contend in a letter to the Commission. “In the event interference does occur, CKNT will fully cooperate with Radio Humsafar in resolving any such interference. However, CKNT believes that the determination of financial responsibility …remedying any interference should be made at such time, based on the nature of the interference.”

Neither is on the air yet and there’s already tension and drama in the air! Perhaps this can be CKNT’s first topic – who should pay for transmitter interference? That's if it ever actually gets on the air. The clock is ticking on this thing that should have been broadcasting nearly half a decade ago. I can’t recall ever hearing of another station taking so long to sign on after getting a licence approval.

Last edited by RadioActive (August 29, 2016 7:51 pm)

August 29, 2016 5:51 pm  #2

Re: New GTA Station Running Out Of Time To Launch - & Facing New Hurdle

Less than three miles between a proposed Tx location and an existing?  390 KHz separation,  one is approved at 2000 watts day, and the other at 1000 watts day...   Talk about your first world problems, eh?...

Maybe both groups should look at how other broadcasters have successfully worked and shared PUBLIC spectrum for years...

i)  CFRB 1010  and CHUM 1050....    both maintain the respective Tx sites in Clarkson...  have so for many years...  they could spit at each others tower sites.... they are that close to each other...

ii) CBC runs the Hornby Tx for both 740 and 860  combined on the same stick...  50Kw clear channels.....  How do they do it?  Inquiring minds want to know....

iii)  There are about 3 (?) Tx sites around the horseshoe in Grimsby/Lincoln  area (680,  the former CFTR 640 (?)...   again they are in relative proximity to each other...  

iv)  The Caine's White Oak Broadcasting, added CJMR 1190 in the early 70s... (granted it was a daytimer to start) and they just added a Tx and towers to the existing CHWO 1250 site....   (and then moved both facilities to Hwy. 5 in the mid 80s)    seemed to work out OK for the Caine's....  

Its AM ...  there is going to be interference or impairment to some extent....  get over it....

Kids!!! 

Last edited by Glen Warren (August 29, 2016 5:52 pm)

August 30, 2016 3:51 pm  #3

640's sticks are  just off Green lane, near Tufford Rd.
680's are at Casablanca and the QEW .
590's are only about 18-10 km away up the mountain. All within 10KM (or so)
I believe these are all 50KW Transmitters, and like Don Daynard used to say : I can't tell the difference, Can You tell the difference?

:D

Last edited by StevieB (August 30, 2016 3:52 pm)

I am Here, just not all there.

August 30, 2016 5:51 pm  #4

RadioActive wrote:

They have until Oct. 2017 to get their signal out.

In June, Kerr re-applied again to use this 3rd choice for a site. Application 2016-0668-3. Should it get approved, his time to implement will be extended. He has not been able to build because of problems that crop up with each of his past sites.

August 30, 2016 7:22 pm  #5

Actually, the October 2017 deadline is for Radio Humsafar. Kerr's outfit supposedly has until November of this year - about two months away - to finally sign on. I wonder how many more extensions the CRTC can give before they conclude this station is never going to actually make it to air. But you're right, they're likely to get at least one more shot, which could mean six (or even seven) years since the licence was awarded with nary a signal in sight.

Not completely blaming Kerr, but that's just insane.

I also find it interesting that Humsafar didn't wait for CKNT's debut before it went sniffing around for money for interference that may or may not even happen.

What a business.

August 30, 2016 10:49 pm  #6

RadioActive wrote:

I also find it interesting that Humsafar didn't wait for CKNT's debut before it went sniffing around for money for interference that may or may not even happen.

What a business.

Sometimes the best defense is a good offense.