sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 30, 2022 7:50 pm  #1

Do Global Toronto & Global National Producers Ever Talk To Each Other?

I rarely watch Global News. I just don't much care for the presentation and the commercial load is just insane. But with the endless NFL playoffs keeping the 6 off CFTO for the past few weeks (I don't receive CP24 or I'd watch it there) I've been looking for an alternate. 

So for the past few weekends, I've given Global a try. And here's what surprised me - there doesn't seem to always be a lot of separation between local Global Toronto and the Global National cast that immediately follows it. Case in point Sunday - a David Aikin report on the truckers' protest in Ottawa. It aired in its entirety on the Toronto newscast and then got replayed - the exact same piece with no editing or additions - on their National show, less than half an hour later. 

I've noticed this a number of times. Why would they want to air the same report so close together on so many occasions? If the producers talked, they might be able to coordinate a cut down version or even an alternate for the Toronto show and something original for viewers who literally just saw it minutes ago. 

It makes absolutely no sense to watch the same stories repeat word-for-word in less than 30 minutes. The first time I saw it, I was frankly surprised. But now that I've seen it happen over and over again, I have no idea what they're thinking. There may be two different audiences for these shows, but it makes no sense to air them so close to each other in case there's overlap.

Has anyone else ever noticed this?

January 30, 2022 9:38 pm  #2

Re: Do Global Toronto & Global National Producers Ever Talk To Each Other?

Global BC does exactly the same thing - and Global National is produced in their studios in Burnaby. There is staff overlap between the two.

I’ve seen the exact same story air on the Early News at 5, on Global National, and on the News Hour at 6.

If Global BC is doing that, I’m sure all Global stations across Canada do too.

CTV does it too, I’ve seen stories on CTV London’s news that air again during Lisa Laflamme’s show at 11.

Last edited by MJ Vancouver (January 30, 2022 9:39 pm)

January 30, 2022 10:04 pm  #3

Didn't know about CKVR. Thanks for the tip. I'll check it out for the Super Bowl! (By the way, it's interesting to me that all the CTV ads about the Super Bowl airing on radio are advertising the halftime show - and not the game itself. I'm assuming that's because the match-up still isn't known, but it's strange to hear a spot talking a concert instead of the sporting event that's supposed to be the star attraction.)

January 30, 2022 10:41 pm  #4

torontostan wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

But with the endless NFL playoffs keeping the 6 off CFTO for the past few weeks (I don't receive CP24 or I'd watch it there) I've been looking for an alternate. 

They also air CFTO's 6 O'Clock News on CKVR, if you receive that. 

I’ve also seen CKCO’s 6:00 news air on CFPL during the NFL season. CTV London at 6:00, Kitchener at 6:30.

January 30, 2022 10:43 pm  #5

That also happens between CTV National News at 11 and CTV Toronto news which follows it on weeknights.  Too many story repeats.  

January 31, 2022 10:25 am  #6

This is why I record the news and don't start watching it until :20 after the hour (or later).  First, it lets me finish making dinner, and second, I can skip parts of the news that are repeated, as well as all TV ads.

Another thing that annoys me is that Global is now following what CityNews have been doing that made me stopped watching CityNews.  They start a report on a story for just a minute or two, and then go to something else and then go back to the same story later in the broadcast.  I know they want the eyeballs for their whole broadcast... but it drives me crazy.  Just do a report in its entirety and move on to the next one.

January 31, 2022 10:01 pm  #7

chrishch wrote:

This is why I record the news and don't start watching it until :20 after the hour (or later).  First, it lets me finish making dinner, and second, I can skip parts of the news that are repeated, as well as all TV ads.

Another thing that annoys me is that Global is now following what CityNews have been doing that made me stopped watching CityNews.  They start a report on a story for just a minute or two, and then go to something else and then go back to the same story later in the broadcast.  I know they want the eyeballs for their whole broadcast... but it drives me crazy.  Just do a report in its entirety and move on to the next one.

I was in Ontario a month ago and really noticed this when I watched a couple Global newscasts.

This seems to be specific to Toronto, as I haven’t seen this on other Global stations.