sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 30, 2022 11:29 pm  #1

Spotify to add content advisory

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/business/digital/spotify-covid-19-content-advisory-podcast-episodes-1235084135/?s=09

but will this be enough for them to regain the multitudes of people who deleted the app, and prevent more artists from withdrawing their music.... then there's the HUGE amount money Spotify lost

Last edited by betaylored (January 31, 2022 2:12 am)

January 31, 2022 7:28 am  #3

Re: Spotify to add content advisory

Glad I don't listen to podcasts, at least not yet... but these cover-your-arse advisories, "info panels" etc. such as those on Google and pretty much the entire social media world, are just one more reason for me to not go near Spotify's podcast offerings.  Rogan is the top reason, and I won't listen to any Spotify-hosted podcasts until they kick him to the curb or he leaves on his own.  I use Spotify like crazy these days for listening to music and only music, so in the last year and a bit, when they started trying to "educate" their users on voter suppression following the bedlam that was the 2020 election down south, I tweaked my devices, so that instead of opening the app the usual way and starting at the home section, I hit a shortcut on my main screen/app launcher that takes me directly to my favourite playlist.

Re the CYA stuff outside of Spotify, I only use the web versions, and not the native apps/clients, of the major socials that I use - Twitter/TweetDeck, YouTube, and TikTok (viewing only) via urlebird.com.  Got uBlock Origin running in my browsers, and I have been able to permanently block/remove almost all of the very annoying covid-related info panels/knowledge panels/disclaimers/etc., but some of this stuff in Google's products/services has been very difficult to block without breaking the pages.

I totally realize and understand the purpose(s) of these cover-your-arse things, especially in the pandemic and with a good chunk of the world's population being unable, or even unwilling, to discern between legit facts and just plain misinformation/false info. But it gets super annoying, maybe insulting, to people like you and me, who actually have brains and proper critical thinking skills, to be almost force fed cover-your-arse verbiage.  This is why I now use Bluetooth earbuds when flying solo at a major store or a mall - they drown out the BGM and the loud-as-anything intercom/pages, but most importantly, they drown out the CYA messages that seem to come up every 15 minutes or so.