sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 28, 2022 11:08 pm  #1

6 PM News Reporting

I sat back and watched the story of the "Freedom Convoy" unfold last night.    Roger's Adrian Ghobrial did an excellent report on it.  He covered the donations troubles, the appearance of extremist groups hijacking it,  mentioned how the USA is asking the same,  did interviews and even had experts from academia giving their views!    Meanwhile, over at CFTO, one of the most experienced reporters in the game, Austin Delaney, just gave me a "what they say" microphone in the gob of some boob report, at some kind of location outdoors of course.      What a let down.       Bell has fallen big, especially when one of their finest reporters ends up delivering crap like that.   And I don't blame him.   He's great.

January 28, 2022 11:27 pm  #2

Re: 6 PM News Reporting

Why are you blaming Bell and not the reporter?  He could have had access to all the same elements and people as City, right?  And it's not like CTV had to scramble last minute to do the story - they had all day, didn't they?    

January 29, 2022 10:56 am  #3

Mavridis wrote:

Why are you blaming Bell and not the reporter?  He could have had access to all the same elements and people as City, right?  And it's not like CTV had to scramble last minute to do the story - they had all day, didn't they?    

It's more their entire approach these days.    With few exceptions, they lack the depth they used to have.    Their coverage of many issues has been little more than sound bytes.    Even their reporting of the COVID numbers lacks context, seemingly shouting big numbers every day without perspective or analysis has been the rule.   For example, until recently the 7-day rolling average number of cases was the most relevant and the best they do is avoid that and read raw numbers from a PowerPoint slide.   Increasing?  Decreasing?  They can't be bothered to say.   Anybody who has done presentations knows that's the way to bore people to death.

January 29, 2022 1:41 pm  #4

I think it is more of a problem internally with the local CTV Toronto news team.  CP24 and CTV News Channel generally do a good job, as does the network. CTV News Toronto seems sloppy and the on air staff sometimes have an uncaring attitude what they are actually putting on the air.  I have seen anchors absolutely butcher a sports story or weather forecast. They obviously don't like having to do these things occasionally but they should show more professionalism and make more of an effort.  It makes them look bad and their competition better.