sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 28, 2022 9:07 am  #1

640 vs. 1010 - If You Can't Beat 'Em, Copy Them

The artist formerly known as GNR640 had a feature on Friday that I haven't heard on the station before. Yet it was certainly familiar. It consisted of a panel of talkers, including Alan Carter, and host Greg Brady, throwing around stories in the news and giving their impressions of what they mean.

The name for this new old idea? "The Roundtable."

Yep, the exact same name as the exact same feature that's been a part of 1010's morning show for years. They didn't even bother to change the name. It's essentially an exact copy of their competitor - except that it begins around 7:35 AM as opposed to 1010's 7:48 AM start time.

It's not like having a panel of experts taking about items in the news is unique. But if they're going to copy their rivals down the dial, the very least they could do is change the name.

January 28, 2022 10:27 am  #2

Re: 640 vs. 1010 - If You Can't Beat 'Em, Copy Them

They are frequently referred to on air as convening The Roundtable, so they do use it. But you're right. The segment has a different moniker in the intro.

January 28, 2022 10:44 am  #3

"It's not like having a panel of experts taking about items in the news is unique."

I wish they had more experts and fewer unqualified opinions on the round table, while at times it sounds like some participants weren't given an advance heads up on the subject matter because they have nothing to say but their mouths open and words come out nonetheless.    I not expecting much more from the 640 version.

January 28, 2022 12:44 pm  #4

Years ago, during the Christie Blatchford, Dave Agar era, I would use the 1010 roundtables from both the morning and afternoon drive shows as a sort of Coles Notes, and learn enough by listening to a discussion on a topic to know the latest on what was going on. Often someone, usually Christie, would say something so truly insightful and smart that I would tuck it away to remember.

These days the chats are like being within earshot of a conversation at Tim Hortons between a couple of people regurgitating what they read in yesterday's newspapers.

Some roundtables sound like an exercise in herding cats.

Perhaps 1010 could start by thinning out the number of PR experts.

Last edited by betaylored (January 28, 2022 2:14 pm)