sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 26, 2022 8:10 am  #1

CBC To Air Four Part Doc On Legendary 1972 Canada-Russia Series

It won't be on your screen until the fall, but the four-part documentary will use never before-seen footage and extensive interviews - along with game highlights, including the Paul Henderson goal - to relive and explore a series that even non-hockey fans got caught up in 50 years ago. 

It's the only time I remember schools being dismissed so the kids could go home and watch a hockey game. A remarkable moment forever literally frozen in time. 

Hockey docuseries on 1972’s legendary Canada-USSR faceoff heads to CBC

January 26, 2022 11:06 am  #2

Re: CBC To Air Four Part Doc On Legendary 1972 Canada-Russia Series

It's been 50 years. Yes, time to put Paul Henderson in the Hall of Fame. He scored THE goal and had a steady, if not spectacular, career in the NHL and WHA.

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

January 26, 2022 11:22 am  #3

I always found it interesting, but also somewhat ironical that Paul Henderson is not in the Hockey Hall of Fame, but the goalie he scored on is.

January 26, 2022 2:26 pm  #4

We got our first colour TV for that series.

January 26, 2022 2:50 pm  #5

They brought one of those black and white TVs on a huge roller stand into our class to let us watch the games. But there was at least one of the contests in the afternoon where they just let everyone go home. Might have been for the final match. I remember a group of kids came over to my parents' house to raucously see it. I believe we had a colour set by then.

I couldn't tell you anything I learned in that grade that year, but I certainly remember that day. 

January 26, 2022 6:08 pm  #6

Still sends shivers up my spine all these years later.