sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 23, 2022 9:01 am  #1

CP24 Newtalk 1010 Weekend Mornings

The Newsreader just said "You are watching the CP24 Breakfast Weekend, stay with us, and also listening to us on Newtalk 1010 this morning. Stay with us"

There was a definate pause between "stay with us" and the rest of the sentence read. Usually when there is a slight change in NT1010 shows, it usually is mentioned here. Did not see it yet.  Great idea, Bell only pays for one show.

never worked ever, in radio

January 23, 2022 9:20 am  #2

Re: CP24 Newtalk 1010 Weekend Mornings

leafs67 wrote:

Great idea, Bell only pays for one show.

CP24 1050 failed miserably. Clearly this was a weak timeslot that had no audience anyway or they would have done something far better with it instead.  

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

January 23, 2022 9:56 am  #3

leafs67 wrote:

The Newsreader just said "You are watching the CP24 Breakfast Weekend, stay with us, and also listening to us on Newtalk 1010 this morning. Stay with us"

There was a definate pause between "stay with us" and the rest of the sentence read. Usually when there is a slight change in NT1010 shows, it usually is mentioned here. Did not see it yet.  Great idea, Bell only pays for one show

Actually, to be fair, it was mentioned here. It was sort of hidden in a thread about Dave Trafford leaving the morning show. But it is a definite money saver. There's simply no other reason to reinstate, as RadioWiz noted, an idea that didn't work on 1050 and works just as poorly on 1010.

What Bell has done to one of Canada's most famous radio stations is absolutely criminal. 

January 23, 2022 10:29 am  #4

I agree. It just does not work.
I am out and have been forced to check other options elsewhere on the dial.
What Bell has done, and is doing verges on criminal.
Sorry, Bell, you've turned me off. 

How many others feel the same?

January 23, 2022 11:40 am  #5

Saturday's simulcast of CFTO's 6 PM news was a perfect example. I was listening for the weather and Jessica Smith was talking about the snow we're expecting on Monday. All I wanted to know was how much we're expecting. That's it. I wasn't around my phone or a computer at the time, so I couldn't get it online at that exact moment. But I did have the radio on. 

So what happened? They put up a board with an estimate of the snow totals. And Smith brushed right by it by saying, "and you can see the snow totals expected." 

I actually yelled at the radio, "No I can't!" And with that, I failed to hear the only bit of info that mattered to me. That happens too often and those bad impressions last. TV on the radio is a failed idea. One is a visual medium. The other is the exact opposite. They don't really work on the other most of the time. That's why the Sportsnet TV Jays games on The Fan this past season were such a disaster. 

Radio is all about sound. And for some reason, they still don't seem to get that you can't see it on that small radio speaker. 

Or they don't care. It's cheap and no one's listening - or so goes the logic.

Is it so outlandish to suggest that if you put something decent there worth hearing, the ears will appear? 

January 23, 2022 11:46 am  #6

RadioActive wrote:

So what happened? They put up a board with an estimate of the snow totals. And Smith brushed right by it by saying, "and you can see the snow totals expected." 

I actually yelled at the radio, "No I can't!" And with that, I failed to hear the only bit of info that mattered to me. That happens too often and those bad impressions last. TV on the radio is a failed idea. One is a visual medium. The other is the exact opposite. They don't really work on the other most of the time. That's why the Sportsnet TV Jays games on The Fan this past season were such a disaster. 

Radio is all about sound. And for some reason, they still don't seem to get that you can't see it on that small radio speaker. 

Or they don't care. It's cheap and no one's listening - or so goes the logic.

Is it so outlandish to suggest that if you put something decent there worth hearing, the ears will appear? 

CNIB is your friend. Round up some people over there and see if you can put something together to report to the CRTC or C.A.B. or whoever takes complaints these days.
You just might win and Bell just might be in trouble.
Radio as a service for the blind and vision impaired is a very serious thing that shouldn't be messed with for any reason.

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

January 23, 2022 12:06 pm  #7

I'll agree with you JB866. I enjoyed listening to the weekend morning show when Dave Trafford was doing it  on CFRB, Most mornings I would leave my radio on 1010 am for a few hours after the morning show was over. On Saturday, stay to hear the home improvement show, the vet that hosts the Animal House program.On Sunday, often listen to the trivia show, (if the trivia topics were in any way down my alley), I would eventually change over to music by the noon hour. With no interest in hearing rerolls of The best of John Moore's shows from the previous week, (most of which I've already heard) or the CP24 audio only, I've forgotten to tune in when the other shows I enjoyed listening to are on. Now, I'm putting on a music station, or one of the great oldies station online, many which I've been made aware of from the members here.I expect I'm just one of many who spent a dozen or so hours tuned in one the weekend that won't be back until Monday. Maybe they will be back, maybe not. Moore in the Morning is about the only time I'm listening to CFRB, unless I hear a promo for something that sounds interesting on one of the other weekday shows, which isn't very often. Provided I remember to tune in for what sounded like it might worth giving a bit of my time to.

January 24, 2022 8:38 am  #8

This is why I think telecoms should have stuck with what they know, phones, instead of buying up
the lion’s share of Canadian broadcasters. Seriously, the only weekend show on 1010 now worth
tuning into is Sunday Morning Trivia with Jason Agnew. Their weekends used to be quite the mix,
from Dave Trafford to Tim Hudak, they had a lot to offer listeners, now, nada. Too bad.

January 24, 2022 4:55 pm  #9

I agree with JB866!