sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 23, 2022 3:24 pm  #1

A CHUM-AM Morning Show Line-Up I Have No Memory Of

This was after their heyday as a Top 40 station. I probably was no longer a listener in 1988, but I have to say I have no memory of this morning drive line-up. I suspect it was not long lived. 

January 23, 2022 3:38 pm  #2

Re: A CHUM-AM Morning Show Line-Up I Have No Memory Of

This was during their "Favourites of Yesterday and Today" format, which lasted from June 1986 to September 1989. The first morning man during this format was Don Percy, who didn't last long, then Gerry Forbes. They went oldies in 1989 and Bob Magee took over mornings.

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

January 24, 2022 2:24 am  #3

Dale Patterson wrote:

This was during their "Favourites of Yesterday and Today" format, which lasted from June 1986 to September 1989. The first morning man during this format was Don Percy, who didn't last long, then Gerry Forbes. They went oldies in 1989 and Bob Magee took over mornings.

Actually, 1050 CHUM used the "Favourites of Yesterday and Today" slogan until about November 1988, if memory serves. For about two months they were without a slogan as they were starting to tweak their playlist. I remember hearing "Jump" by Van Halen around that time (for the first time in about two and a half years!) and thought, something's going on here.

Turns out, by early 1989 they became "Toronto's Soft Rock", which I thought was a little ironic, considering their sound had gotten a little harder. Van Halen and Cheap Trick were re-introduced to their playlist, while stuff like The Carpenters and Barbra Streisand were shown the door. Then, in September 1989 they went all oldies, and everything new was shown the door.

I think the commercial above might have been from the "tweaking" period.

PJ

ClassicHitsOnline.com...The place where all the cool tunes hang out!

January 25, 2022 12:43 pm  #4

I remember this morning show on CHUM AM, and while overall pretty good, on air it was kind of similar to CHUM FM with Roger Rick and Marilyn.  During this time CHUM FM was going through their very successful adult contemporary (The Big Chill) phase.  I remember 1050's morning show really pushed the interaction of the personalities and to me at least had too much talk and banter, with overly long breaks. 

January 25, 2022 9:37 pm  #5

In retrospect, I think they should have gone oldies in 1986, right after dropping Top 40.

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

January 25, 2022 10:00 pm  #6

Dale Patterson wrote:

In retrospect, I think they should have gone oldies in 1986, right after dropping Top 40.

I agree, and CHUM had access to hundred and hundreds of old CHUM jingles from the 50's to 70;s for the oldies format.  I remember even hearing jingles for some of the high schools in Toronto.