sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 11, 2022 6:02 pm  #1

Indiana Wants Me's R. Dean Taylor Dies At 82

It's not completely confirmed, but Marc Weisblott's 12:36 site is among numerous outlets reporting that R. Dean Taylor, the Canadian singer who was the first white crooner signed to Motown, has passed away. He was 82. 

His biggest hit was "Indiana Wants Me," but he also had other big sellers in Canada, including "Ain't It A Sad Thing," one of the first big environmental songs, "Gotta See Jane," "Taos, New Mexico" and "Candy Apple Red." He also composed what I consider the best Four Tops song ever: "I'll Turn To Stone."

"Indiana Wants Me" star R. Dean Taylor reportedly dies at age 82

January 14, 2022 8:26 am  #2

Re: Indiana Wants Me's R. Dean Taylor Dies At 82

Another of my favourite performers gone. His songs often pop into my head, very effective in getting rid of another song that I don't like that's become an earworm.R.I.P. Mr. Taylor. Were there any other Canadian musicians on the Motown label  (or any of the sub labels operated by Motown)?

January 14, 2022 9:38 am  #3

Norman peters wrote:

Another of my favourite performers gone. His songs often pop into my head, very effective in getting rid of another song that I don't like that's become an earworm.R.I.P. Mr. Taylor. Were there any other Canadian musicians on the Motown label  (or any of the sub labels operated by Motown)?

Bobby Taylor and the Vancouvers were on Gordy Records.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bobby_Taylor_%26_the_Vancouvers

January 14, 2022 1:42 pm  #4

The voice of the police officer on the bullhorn "This is the police, give yourself up" on "Indiana Wants Me" is that of Motown engineer Don Gooch.  Don was a board operator at CHUM and CKFH (at the same time) in the late '60s.  When the stations found out, Don was fired from both.  That's when he went down to Motown.  He already knew R. Dean from Toronto.  After Motown, Don moved to LA where he engineered and produced albums for Graham Nash, David Crosby and many more.  Gooch died about 20 years ago.  Interesting guy.  I knew and worked with Don at CHUM. 
https://www.discogs.com/artist/526827-Don-Gooch

I also had a great adventure when I interviewed R. Dean Taylor in LA in the early 1980s.  But that's a story for another time.

Last edited by Doug Thompson (January 14, 2022 1:42 pm)

January 15, 2022 7:52 pm  #5

Doug Thompson wrote:

The voice of the police officer on the bullhorn "This is the police, give yourself up" on "Indiana Wants Me" is that of Motown engineer Don Gooch.  Don was a board operator at CHUM and CKFH (at the same time) in the late '60s.  When the stations found out, Don was fired from both.  That's when he went down to Motown.  He already knew R. Dean from Toronto.  After Motown, Don moved to LA where he engineered and produced albums for Graham Nash, David Crosby and many more.  Gooch died about 20 years ago.  Interesting guy.  I knew and worked with Don at CHUM. 
https://www.discogs.com/artist/526827-Don-Gooch

I also had a great adventure when I interviewed R. Dean Taylor in LA in the early 1980s.  But that's a story for another time.

Great story. Doug. Thanks. Not sure if anyone has heard the slightly longer version of "Indiana." In its original incarnation, it was always faded on the 45 at precisely the point where Mr. Gooch's voice comes in. But if they'd let it play, you would have heard a long exchange of gunfire. There was so much of it, I became convinced the lead character in the song did not survive his encounter with police and was probably killed in the shootout. 

It kind of gives a whole new ending and interpretation to the tune. But back in the early 70s, we never got to hear that on most Top 40 stations. 

January 15, 2022 8:20 pm  #6

Don Gooch first comes in at 2:57 with "This is the police...you are surrounded.  Give yourself up."  The song continues with the strings taking us to the shootout.  Since there was no more lyrics, it was easy for stations to fad out at 3:00 or even 3:05 instead of letting it run its full length to 3:30.  

January 21, 2022 5:57 am  #7

At last, this sad story is finally confirmed. From the Canadian Press:

"When Taylor died Jan. 7 at his Los Angeles home at age 82, more than a year after he contracted COVID-19 and was placed in hospice care, he left behind decades of unrealized dreams that were sanded down by the entertainment industry's relentless friction.

"A screenplay he once hoped to bring to Hollywood. A memoir only partially finished. So many songs that were committed to tape but never released."

Singer R. Dean Taylor dies at 82

January 23, 2022 12:55 pm  #8