sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 4, 2021 12:10 am  #1

Channel 7 Reporter Hit By Car While Waiting To Do Live Report

It's amazing this doesn't happen more often, considering how many live shots take place during the average newscast. 

Channel 7 reporter hit by vehicle while reporting in Buffalo

This sadly isn't the first time this kind of thing has taken place. Many here will remember the terrible case of Bill Atanasoff, a terrific veteran cameraman from City TV, who was hit by a drunk driver while he was shooting a story for the station. He suffered catastrophic injuries that left him a blind quadriplegic with serious brain injuries. A Go-Fund Me page designed to help encourage donations needed for his round-the-clock care raised more than $28,000 in 2015. 

I often wonder about the wisdom of these live shots and how more things don't go wrong. In 2019, two CHCH-TV employees, a cameraman and a reporter, both received a huge scare when a passerby deliberately knocked over their camera just as they were going on air. It appeared at first glance that they, too, had been hit by a vehicle, leaving the anchors back in the studio stunned. Fortunately, neither were harmed. 

Then there was the tragic murder of a reporter and her cameraman on live TV in West Virginia. That happened six years ago. 

I remember our guys were always accompanied by some security when they went out on a shoot in a public place. But I suspect cutbacks mean there's no longer any budget for those extra bodies, so anything can happen. Thankfully, most times, it doesn't. 

January 20, 2022 8:29 pm  #2

Re: Channel 7 Reporter Hit By Car While Waiting To Do Live Report

Last October...

67GreenRambler wrote:

It's a workplace safety issue. How many times do we see reporters standing in place while vehicular traffic rushes closely by. Often from behind!

Highway and road construction workers must wear reflective vests. You see them everywhere in all manner of jobs. It's a bit of a mystery how Unifor and CMG have lapsed in their declaration to sincerely care about worker safety.

January 20, 2022 9:17 pm  #3

Re: Channel 7 Reporter Hit By Car While Waiting To Do Live Report

Here is what is going around the internet today of a West Virginia reporter all alone reporting live about a water main break.  She is hit by vehicle and is pushed head first into the camera.  The anchor has been criticized since he showed no concern or regard if she was alright, even after she said that she had been hit by a car.  He claimed he couldn't really see what happened. Thankfully reporter Tori Yorgey was alright and is starting a new job next week at a bigger station.  https://www.cnn.com/videos/business/2022/01/20/reporter-struck-by-car-live-on-air-broadcast-west-virigina-orig.cnn-business