sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 19, 2022 3:11 pm  #1

New Canadian radio forum

Please delete if this is not allowed, I'm a big boy and can handle it

I just created a new website that discusses radio and some TV news from across Canada. There will be posts made by me as well as the awesome members I am hoping will join the site. It will even have a spot on there for Podcasts, online radio stations, and SiriusXM
If anyone is interested please join and keep the conversation clean. Also, I will still contribute to this site as well as a few others I am a part of. There will also be a Facebook page as well. 
One of the main reasons I am creating this is because I do see posts on here sometimes that are from other parts of the country but they don't really get any traction on here as this wonderful site is just Southern Ontario. My site will also feature US news also.

https://canadianradionews.boardhost.com/index.php

Please come join me at my new site

January 19, 2022 3:14 pm  #2

Re: New Canadian radio forum

Good luck with the new board! There's always room for more!

January 19, 2022 3:27 pm  #3

RadioActive wrote:

Good luck with the new board! There's always room for more!

Thank you!

January 19, 2022 3:43 pm  #4

isn't there already a facebook page called Canadian Radio News?

January 19, 2022 4:47 pm  #5

There is. But this is a Boardhost page not Facebook, if that matters.

January 19, 2022 11:50 pm  #6

splunge wrote:

isn't there already a facebook page called Canadian Radio News?

There is a facebook page with the same name and I knew that as well but totally blanked on that. So I have reached out to the owner of that page so we can decide on an outcome. I will gladly change my site name if needed. 

January 19, 2022 11:59 pm  #7

Good luck with your new forum. It's a good idea - Radio Discussions in the U.S. has something similar.

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

January 20, 2022 12:33 am  #8

brian451 wrote:

There is a facebook page with the same name and I knew that as well but totally blanked on that. So I have reached out to the owner of that page so we can decide on an outcome. I will gladly change my site name if needed. 

A couple of years ago, I wanted to change the name of a boardhost forum that I run and also wanted to make a corresponding change to the web address. So I contacted Boardhost to see if I could do this, and was told that I could just set up a new website instead -- which I could obviously figure out for myself, but had wanted to avoid. Fortunately I was still just developing that forum, and so I did go that route. Just mentioning this in case that were to end up being of any relevance in your situation.

January 20, 2022 9:21 am  #9

My 2 cents: You should rename otherwise having two CRN's will screw up google and other searches.

January 20, 2022 11:19 am  #10

andysradio wrote:

My 2 cents: You should rename otherwise having two CRN's will screw up google and other searches.

"CDNMedia Forum" or something

Good luck!

January 20, 2022 12:08 pm  #11

Good luck with the site brian451

January 20, 2022 2:37 pm  #12

I have updated the name of the page a little but I cannot change the actual website without deleting the forum and starting from fresh. So I think I will have to keep it as is but I did change the name so hopefully it doesn't mess up the google searches to much

January 20, 2022 3:12 pm  #13

brian451 wrote:

I have updated the name of the page a little but I cannot change the actual website without deleting the forum and starting from fresh. So I think I will have to keep it as is but I did change the name so hopefully it doesn't mess up the google searches to much

Yes ... as someone who's had to wrestle with somewhat similar issues, I think that what you've done makes sense and should help distinguish your site from the Facebook group. 

January 20, 2022 6:13 pm  #14

Wow hard on the eyes and hard to read due color choices.

January 20, 2022 6:17 pm  #15

Stinand wrote:

what would your suggestions be? I am trying to keep it with a dark background instead of a bright background, but I am open to suggestions

January 21, 2022 1:20 am  #16

Hey Brian.
When I attempt to register, it says account creation is not available at this time. Is this intentional?

January 21, 2022 1:30 am  #17

too much blue. 

January 21, 2022 7:39 am  #18

brian451 wrote:

Stinand wrote:

what would your suggestions be? I am trying to keep it with a dark background instead of a bright background, but I am open to suggestions

hi brian .. 

my old eyes need more contrast.  a muted blue type on grey background quickly becomes tiresome to my eyes.  this is not a new thing for me; i've always detested sites who use a grey, not black, type.

good luck .. 

January 21, 2022 11:24 am  #19

Joined and signed in. Best of luck with the new forum,Brian. It will be nice to read some radio news  from elsewhere.

January 21, 2022 10:03 pm  #20

g121 wrote:

brian451 wrote:

Stinand wrote:

hi brian .. 

my old eyes need more contrast.  a muted blue type on grey background quickly becomes tiresome to my eyes.  this is not a new thing for me; i've always detested sites who use a grey, not black, type.

good luck .. 

I also tend to like better contrast and perhaps a larger, non-serif font.

If I could suggest to both RA and Brian.  One thing for the Quad Cities site was the choice and size of the Tahoma font.  The size and look is PERFECT   I wish SOWNY and CRN forums would both adopt that.

Cheers,
Jody Thornton

January 22, 2022 2:31 pm  #21

Shorten the sub-head.

Instead of "This site is powered by you" just say "Powered by You." It's shorter, snappier.

January 22, 2022 4:22 pm  #22

The colour scheme is hard on the eyes - black on grey is almost unreadable. How about just red and white?

Last edited by Dale Patterson (January 22, 2022 4:37 pm)

September 25, 2023 6:26 pm  #23

So .... has anything ever come of this?  I stop by now and then, but I think that the newest post is over a year old.  Hard to read the dates with the colour scheme.

Cheers,
Jody Thornton