sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 17, 2022 8:36 pm  #1

Calgary's JACK FM More Local and More Live

This might be a good sign with advertising revenues coming back.  Calgary's JACK FM is adding a new mid morning and afternoon drive program, and dropping some network programming.   Both new shows are local and live....details from Broadcast Dialogue. https://broadcastdialogue.com/calgarys-jack-96-9-unveils-new-station-lineup-featuring-marc-millions/

January 17, 2022 8:42 pm  #2

Re: Calgary's JACK FM More Local and More Live

The three of them were lured over by their former boss. Christian Hall was the original and longtime program director of Calgary's X92.9, but recently left to lead the national JACK format for Rogers. X is a top rated station and arguably 'cooler' format, so it speaks well of him as a manager, for sure.

January 19, 2022 2:19 pm  #3

Re: Calgary's JACK FM More Local and More Live

I find it interesting that Calgary is the first of the Jack stations getting the new lineup. Since Christian Hall left Harvard (X92.9), I have wondered when his touch was going to be pushed across the lineup of Jack stations. It's a shame that the only one close to Toronto is London, but I suspect all of the Jack stations will eventually have a full lineup of hosts, even if it means that middays are one host across the network. Or one host for western Canada and one for the eastern stations. 
I have also noticed that more of the playlists on the stations are rock based (which Hall has lots of experience with). It reminds me of Jack in Toronto before it flipped back to Kiss, that format for Toronto only was a more Rock-based format that was geared to go up against Q. I actually enjoyed that version of it and I hope the remainder of the Jack stations lean more rock with good personalities. I don't think Jack would come back to Toronto because of the success of both Kiss and CHFI, but it would be nice if Rogers could expand the Jack brand and program it better and have more on air talent.