sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 17, 2022 8:35 pm  #1

City TV's On Air Land Acknowledgments: Sincere Or Virtue Signaling?

I notice that City TV has started doing their pre-news station I.D.s with a fairly lengthy acknowledgement that the station is located on the former lands of several Indigenous bands. They then never mention it again, and go straight into their newscast. 

Every time I hear this, I'm of two minds - I suppose it's relatively harmless and is a nice thing to do to remember history and the people who were there first. But at the same time, it's also a useless statement that does nothing to improve the status of the very groups it's paying tribute to. 

I wonder what you guys think of this - a sincere attempt at noting what Canada's first inhabitants lost or an overly woke fit of virtue signaling? Frankly, I'm not sure what to make of it. In the end, I suppose it doesn't hurt anyone, so why not? But the cynic in me can't help but feel they're trying to manipulate viewers into thinking Rogers actually cares about such things.

January 17, 2022 10:03 pm  #2

Re: City TV's On Air Land Acknowledgments: Sincere Or Virtue Signaling?

I just checked Citytv Vancouver and they did this, though their acknowledgment is brief as in Vancouver these acknowledgments usually only mention 3 nations.

To me it has no harm whatsoever but I also question whether it actually accomplishes anything meaningful for Reconciliation.

January 18, 2022 4:11 am  #3

>> But the cynic in me can't help but feel they're trying to manipulate viewers into thinking Rogers actually cares about such things.

Bingo.

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

January 18, 2022 5:05 am  #4

...but if it's not CRTC regulated, then it IS out of the goodness of Rogers hearts. 

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

January 18, 2022 9:40 pm  #5

I don't really have an opinion myself, but the person in charge at Rogers who decided to add these acknowledgements most certainly is doing it sincerely as the right thing to do. No other reason.

Also, it's impossible to have an impartial debate if we're opening with loaded buzzwords like "overly woke fit of virtue signaling?" 

Last edited by RadioAaron (January 18, 2022 9:41 pm)

February 4, 2022 1:00 am  #6

CHEK in Victoria is taking this one step further - they’re now running a land acknowledgment ID before every program. They had it between Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy this evening, and then again right after Jeopardy. This seems to have started this week.

Any stations in Ontario doing this?

February 4, 2022 11:02 am  #7

Watching the recent Australian Open Tennis Tournament, I noticed right before the match began there was an announcement that the tournament was being played on indigenous land and an acknowledgment of those that originally lived on this land.