sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 17, 2022 8:03 am  #1

How Does A Mistake Like This Keep Spreading?

The first time I saw the headline below was at a site in India. I figured it wasn't surprising they don't know a lot about the difference between Canada and the U.S.A. But now that same story and the same headline has turned up on American sites, and I suppose it proves that no one proofreads or checks anything anymore. 

The banner itself seems OK. Here's what it says:

Radio Announcers Fired for Body-shaming High School Basketball Players in Canada

OK, so what's the problem? Check out the very first sentence.

"Two radio broadcasters in Maine, Canada lost their jobs last week after they were heard body-shaming basketball players of a high school team."

Last time I checked, Maine was not in Canada and the radio station mentioned in the article boasts the call letters WHOU-FM, which in the city of Houlton, also in Maine, but still not in Canada. Its signal does reach into New Brunswick, but that's still no excuse for the glaring error. 

It tells me that people who post this stuff don't read a finished story composed elsewhere (or else it's automated and no one checks it at all). And this one has now appeared in many places on the web. Remember the Maine! And when you do, remember also that it's not in the Great White North. 

January 17, 2022 11:42 am  #2

Re: How Does A Mistake Like This Keep Spreading?

The MSN site just probably pulls these news stories from news organizations without any human intervention. MSN is just a web portal, not a news organization it itself. News 18 India would need to fix that article before it shows up on MSN correctly.

January 17, 2022 12:21 pm  #3

Yes, it seems to have started in India for some reason and it's just mushroomed from there. Been up a few days. You might figure someone would have caught it by now. 

January 17, 2022 12:39 pm  #4

In my experience, the "human intervention" for many of the U.S. based web (news) companies are located offshore, some in S. Asia, some in the Phillipines.   Canadian geography is clearly not a core curriculum subject in those places.  Also consider the marginal resources the web giants are expending towards editing content that contains hate speech, conspiracy theories, etc.   Probably no-one at the home base would ever bother to read or absorb a story like this one.   Besides the (rudimentary) AI algorithms that these companies use wouldn't catch geographical errors.

January 17, 2022 12:42 pm  #5

That's what happens with information overload.  A lot of the material put out never gets checked or even questioned as it is passed along.   And if a story has misleading information, lies or just a mistake, once it is out and passed to millions, it is hard to get the story corrected or changed. If people have already read the original with the wrong information the damage is done.