sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 10, 2022 5:35 pm  #1

CHFI New Morning Show

Ok, So I didn't have a chance to listen to CHFI's new morning show last week; with the former CP24 team.  Any thoughts or reviews?  I'm surprised no one on  this radio board hasn't said anything.  Maybe you're all like me and haven't had the chance to listen.

January 10, 2022 5:40 pm  #2

Re: CHFI New Morning Show

AMFM wrote:

I'm surprised no one on  this radio board hasn't said anything. 

Are you?

January 10, 2022 5:43 pm  #3

Well, this is a radio board; so yes, I am surprised not one person has made a comment.

Last edited by AMFM (January 10, 2022 5:45 pm)

January 10, 2022 6:25 pm  #4

I have to admit that when I get up in the morning, CHFI is the last radio station that comes to mind and I always forget to tune it in to see how they're doing. There's just too much going on in general for me to do an "aircheck" and I find the programming and the music generally so uninteresting that I don't think about it.

This is a personal thing, but I find I need more info than music in the AM, so I never find myself tuning them in. (Plus, I've never been a fan of their playlist.) If I remember and find the time, I will try to listen for a few minutes, but to be honest, it's not on my radar. I admit to being a creature of habit, especially in the mornings, and 'FI has never been part of that habit. 

January 10, 2022 6:44 pm  #5

My review: They sound like TV people doing a commercial radio show for the first time ever. I think there's potential, but it's way too early. Rogers will throw every resource at their disposal towards making it work.

January 10, 2022 7:05 pm  #6

RadioAaron is right. The move is a curious one. Pooja and Gurdeep were very good on TV but radio is very different. They also skew to a younger demo and I don't know if that audience will listen to the pap that is CHFI. And I also don't know if they will turn off the audience 'FI already had. Has a sniff not unlike Mad Dog And Billy replacing Erin Davis years ago. And that didn't end well. I wish them well, I just don't see the logic.

January 10, 2022 7:43 pm  #7

Rune wrote:

They also skew to a younger demo and I don't know if that audience will listen to the pap that is CHFI.

And now between Rogers' CHFI and KISS 92.5, the AC has the younger, hipper show.

Last edited by RadioAaron (January 10, 2022 7:44 pm)

January 10, 2022 9:09 pm  #8

I heard Pooja and Gurdeep for the first time New Year's Eve for the CHFI New Year's Eve Party. My thoughts are similar to those of RadioAaron... I think the chemistry is there, but it clearly sounds like they are still trying to figure out the ropes and find their groove. Also, I excepted more of an energetic atmosphere when I tuned in that night IF they were live. More listener engagement.... calls, texts, etc. The breaks felt more like a highlight reel of 2021 which sounded alright. I plan to tune in to their morning show soon to see what that is like. There is potential, definitely.

Last edited by Radio.Intern (January 10, 2022 9:18 pm)

January 10, 2022 9:11 pm  #9

RadioAaron wrote:

Rune wrote:

They also skew to a younger demo and I don't know if that audience will listen to the pap that is CHFI.

And now between Rogers' CHFI and KISS 92.5, the AC has the younger, hipper show.

Also something to note here: KiSS 92.5 as of today has tweaked their playlist to Hot AC, with the slogan: The Biggest Hits. The Best Throwbacks. 

January 10, 2022 9:32 pm  #10

Radio.Intern wrote:

RadioAaron wrote:

Rune wrote:

Also something to note here: KiSS 92.5 as of today has tweaked their playlist to Hot AC, with the slogan: The Biggest Hits. The Best Throwbacks. 

That makes a LOT of sense. The product for CHR just isn't there, and it suits the morning show. Also, aiming slightly older makes more sense every day. If they can grab more from CHUM without chipping at CHFI, they win.

January 11, 2022 12:05 am  #11

Radio.Intern wrote:

RadioAaron wrote:

Rune wrote:

Well Kiss 92.5 is still technically a CHR station, as the songs being played are still mostly after 2010. Adding the word throwback doesn't necessarily means that Kiss shift its focus to hot AC, the throwback tracks are indeed some 90's and 00's classic hip hop products by artists such as Kanye West and Nelly. Unless Kiss starts to play 90's to 00's pop track at least 30% of the time, which is very unlikely as it might have conflict with CHFI, it's still considered a hit music station.

January 11, 2022 1:29 am  #12

RadioAaron wrote:

Radio.Intern wrote:

RadioAaron wrote:

That makes a LOT of sense. The product for CHR just isn't there, and it suits the morning show. Also, aiming slightly older makes more sense every day. If they can grab more from CHUM without chipping at CHFI, they win.

So, a war for the Soccer mom ear? 

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

January 11, 2022 1:40 am  #13

Adrian106072 wrote:

Radio.Intern wrote:

RadioAaron wrote:

Well Kiss 92.5 is still technically a CHR station, as the songs being played are still mostly after 2010. Adding the word throwback doesn't necessarily means that Kiss shift its focus to hot AC, the throwback tracks are indeed some 90's and 00's classic hip hop products by artists such as Kanye West and Nelly. Unless Kiss starts to play 90's to 00's pop track at least 30% of the time, which is very unlikely as it might have conflict with CHFI, it's still considered a hit music station.

I'd argue that in the past 24 hours or so, there's been an uptick in 2000's and 90's (to a lesser extent) songs that have been played, well past Kanye West and Nelly. Even some 2010's that get rotation on CHFI, have now re-emerged on KiSS. The CHR element is 100% still in there, because if they do go too adult, then exactly what you said could happen: a CHFI conflict. But there is transition occurring in the music....

January 11, 2022 4:53 am  #14

Adrian106072 wrote:

Unless Kiss starts to play 90's to 00's pop track at least 30% of the time, which is very unlikely as it might have conflict with CHFI, it's still considered a hit music station.

???

I don't remember that being taught in radio formats class when I went to college. Oh, wait - because it isn't. 

January 11, 2022 7:36 am  #15

Speaking of formats, this story, though told as part of an American radio outlook, is pretty timely for this discussion. Larry Rossin is a veteran radio researcher, who warns that formats that used to be a sure thing no longer are.

"...by far the biggest movers in nominal terms are the two forms of “Contemporary Hit Radio” – what Nielsen calls Pop CHR and Rhythmic CHR. Combined these two flavors of the CHR format have gone from 11.9% of listening in 2011 to 7.2% of listening in 2021. That is, in round numbers, a FORTY PERCENT decline in the share of listening to this foundational radio format.

Music Radio: A Kingdom of Gold

January 11, 2022 12:49 pm  #16

RadioAaron wrote:

Radio.Intern wrote:

RadioAaron wrote:

Surprised its still going at CHUM but Marilyn and Jamar is still to me an odd combination.  

January 11, 2022 5:06 pm  #17

I listened to Pooja and Gurdeep, for about an hour this morning.  They were easy to listen to, pleasant, relaxed and sounded good together.  New jingles for the show, had some breaks with listeners and generally the right balance of morning information, music and the breaks that I heard weren't overdone which is good. Both of them came across as nice people, and that is always a good thing, especially on a station like CHFI.

However touching on the comments above, Toronto has four radio stations that are similar to the untrained ear in the morning and that play a fair bit of the same music or at least similar styles. CHUM, CHFI, Virgin and KISS while various shade of red, are all still red. 

I am wondering if Derringer on Q will waltz up the middle and grab the crown in the morning.  His only main competition, and it is a biggie, is BOOM,  Corus has been promoting Q107 and 640's morning show a lot of late.  In fact the promo for Q has been consistent over the past year, and I see nothing on TV for 102.1 The Edge. And since Stingray isn't in the television business much nothing for BOOM. 

January 11, 2022 6:05 pm  #18

paterson1 wrote:

I listened to Pooja and Gurdeep, for about an hour this morning.  They were easy to listen to, pleasant, relaxed and sounded good together.  New jingles for the show, had some breaks with listeners and generally the right balance of morning information, music and the breaks that I heard weren't overdone which is good. Both of them came across as nice people, and that is always a good thing, especially on a station like CHFI.

However touching on the comments above, Toronto has four radio stations that are similar to the untrained ear in the morning and that play a fair bit of the same music or at least similar styles. CHUM, CHFI, Virgin and KISS while various shade of red, are all still red. 

I am wondering if Derringer on Q will waltz up the middle and grab the crown in the morning.  His only main competition, and it is a biggie, is BOOM,  Corus has been promoting Q107 and 640's morning show a lot of late.  In fact the promo for Q has been consistent over the past year, and I see nothing on TV for 102.1 The Edge. And since Stingray isn't in the television business much nothing for BOOM. 

Only television Stingray has is the music channels and the music video channels such as Stingray Retro.  

January 11, 2022 6:58 pm  #19

markow202 wrote:

Only television Stingray has is the music channels and the music video channels such as Stingray Retro.

True, but also some 4K channels, one which is Nature driven... 

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.