sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 9, 2022 2:43 pm  #1

"Dobie Gillis'" Dwayne Hickman Gone At 87

Another piece of my childhood is gone with the news that Dwayne Hickman has passed. He played the title character on The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis, which is a long forgotten but often very funny sitcom from the 60s. He starred opposite the late Bob Denver, who played TV's first beatnik, Maynard G. Krebbs, a guy who would shriek "Work!" whenever anybody mentioned the word or suggested he get a job. 

According to the linked article below, Hickman passed on what would have been Denver's birthday. 

And then there was Dobie's dad, who would look into the camera and utter his famous catchphrase, "I gotta kill that boy. I just gotta."

If you've never seen Dobie Gillis, it's worth a look. Many streaming services offer it, including Tubi, and the series is not geoblocked in Canada. 

Like many in that era, the producers tried to cash in on Hickman's fame by having him a record a less than successful LP and perform a few of the tunes on the show. I found it in a discard bin decades ago and while it was hardly something you'd want to put in the front of your record collection, it wasn't terrible. 

Hickman, who went on to be an executive at CBS but returned to acting for two Dobie Gillis reunion movies in 1977 and 1988, was 87 and passed from complications of Parkinson's disease. 

Dwayne Hickman, ‘Many Loves of Dobie Gillis’ Star, Dies at 87