sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 3, 2022 12:32 pm  #31

Re: GNR640's Bizarre Holiday Schedule/Jamil Jivani Gone From CFRB?

They interrupted a Kelly Cutrara rerun for the Doug Ford news conference. It was intro'd by 640 newsperson Brianna Carnegie. So at least they did that. But here's a question: if Carnegie is in and apparently working, why isn't she doing regular newscasts instead of just introing the presser and then disappearing? 

What an odd way to run a radio station. 

January 3, 2022 1:00 pm  #32

RadioActive wrote:

What an odd way to run a radio station. 

Well, that does it; when the TSX re-opens tomorrow I intend to liquidate my position in Corus Entertainment

geo

HOLD ON -- shares are trading @ just above their 52 week low; could be a once-in-a-lifetime BUY opportunity!    Decisions, decisions

January 3, 2022 1:02 pm  #33

It's my understanding that their stock market positions will be going into rerolls for the next 10 days...

January 3, 2022 1:26 pm  #34

Another reason not to go the endless repeat route. Alan Carter's rerun at noon expressed the hope that elective surgeries would not have to be postponed. Yet less than half an hour earlier, that's exactly what the province announced. Talk about a dated mixed message. 

They may have been able to get away with this in non-COVID times, when there's very little news at this time of year, but we haven't been in that era since March 2020. They just keep sounding worse and worse by taking this tactic.

January 3, 2022 1:30 pm  #35

With their ratings over the years, I still wonder how they are still on the air.  I guess Corus has lots of money to throw around.

January 3, 2022 2:13 pm  #36

Maybe if 640 listeners or fans of the station petitioned the CAB, CBSC,  or even the CRTC regarding the poor service over Christmas/New Year would at least embarrass the station and management.  Or a feature story in the Globe or Toronto Star on the decline of AM radio in Toronto?  Make the "know it all" suits at Corus justify their lack of service and caring for listeners. If they are foolish enough to threaten to close 640, so much the better.  Let someone who wants the station operate it.  

A strong 50,000 watt AM signal with the 10+ million listeners in Golden Horseshoe has good value.  This seems lost on both Corus with 640 and Bell on 1150..

January 3, 2022 8:14 pm  #37

Turns out CFRB isn't immune from the parade of stupidity. They replayed a Jamil Jivani show on Monday night, the fourth week in a row he's been off. He started off by saying the government has called another lockdown, as well as issuing a Stay At Home Order. 

I have no idea how old this episode is, but because of what happened Monday with the new government crackdowns, an unknowing listener might assume that was part of what was announced. Nothing could be further from the truth. A Stay At Home Order is pretty extreme, but since they didn't bother to identify this show as a rebroadcast, a less discerning audience member may not realize that. 

It was very misleading, if not alarming, and was a really stupid show to choose to replay, especially on this particular day. 

I remain hopeful that things will finally, mercifully be back to whatever passes for normal on both 1010 and 640 on Tuesday. But at this point, nothing will surprise me. 

January 4, 2022 7:48 am  #38

"It was very misleading, if not alarming, and was a really stupid show to choose to replay, especially on this particular day".

It was deceptive.  I was listening and kept a running thought in my mind 'Is this live or a repeat?"
No news and information station should game its audience like this.

January 4, 2022 9:45 am  #39

67GreenRambler wrote:

It was deceptive. I was listening and kept a running thought in my mind 'Is this live or a repeat?"
No news and information station should game its audience like this.

Wasn't 1010 hit with a CRTC fine or warning about this maybe 8-10 years ago based on a listener complaint? I did a Google search but couldn't immediately find anything. They would, of course, regularly re-roll stuff on weekends but also during the Christmas to New Year's stretch and overnights including leaving the host(s) regularly giving the phone numbers and asking listeners to call. A listener complaint suggested it was misleading because you could never actually reach a live host and interact with them during those rerolls.

I seem to recall CRTC agreed this was misleading and ordered 1010 to more clearly indicate it was repeat programming - 1010 came up with a bumper that was regularly inserted (it's varied over the years in wording) that announced "Our phone lines are currently closed. This is an encore presentation. To send an E-mail to any of our hosts, visit newstalk1010.com!"   I even heard that bumper on this past New Year's weekend "Tech Talk with Marc Saltzman" which is never live and always pre-taped in advance anyway.

I wonder if they forgot to insert this into the Jamil Jivani re-rolls? Who knows who's left as people to slice up and rerun content and where they're located and how many shows they're doing this on.

January 4, 2022 7:43 pm  #40

Jamil gone from the Newstalk1010 website  for tonight’s show.

Gonzo or extended vaca?

January 4, 2022 8:06 pm  #41

Dave Kaufman from CJAD is in his place. It sounds like he may be there for some time. And he pointedly did not mention Jivani's name or that he was substituting for him. The site calls the show "Newstalk Tonight."

Did Jamil join Ryan Doyle in exile? It would certainly appear to be the case. His last post on Twitter is from Monday, talking about the decision to cancel classes in Ontario for at least two weeks. His page still lists him as host of the show, but there is nothing else about a possible departure. 

January 4, 2022 8:18 pm  #42

I noticed the website's update this evening as well with Dave's show. Jamil is toast?

Curiously, Dave tweeted earlier this morning, "No show today" - referring to the 9 am-12 pm Jerry Agar fill-in he did throughout the holidays - then bumped that tweet later this afternoon with a "*SHOW TONIGHT*" announcement . Either it was quite the hasty last-minute arrangement, or he's just making a delineation between his morning fill-in duty and his gig on this "new" (?) evening role.

January 4, 2022 8:20 pm  #43

This from December might be an indication of what's going on - or not.

https://twitter.com/jamiljivani/status/1468741071761031168?s=20

January 4, 2022 9:46 pm  #44

AspectRatio wrote:

Either it was quite the hasty last-minute arrangement, or he's just making a delineation between his morning fill-in duty and his gig on this "new" (?) evening role.

You may be right about the fact it happened suddenly - whatever "it" was. They replayed one of Jivani's show on Monday night. Certainly, they would not have done that had he already been gone. The first radio mystery of 2022 sure didn't take long.

January 4, 2022 10:18 pm  #45

A search of the Newstalk website comes up blank when Jovani's name is entered.
Seems all evidence of him has vanished without a trace!
Did Jovani face the same fate as Ryan Doyle??
Hmmmm?   Burning the bodies and removing any trace of evidence of them even being part of the team.
Looks like the powers that be a slowly culling the already sparse herd.
Shame on them 

January 4, 2022 11:49 pm  #46

RadioActive wrote:

There is simply no excuse for a radio station in the major market in Canada to go into a nine day (!) rerun cycle, regardless of listenership size. If that's the only criteria, then it could be reasonably argued they should just sign off at midnight, because the audience is so small. But of course, that would be unthinkable. 

Why is that so unthinkable?   It’s not like it’s 1973 and the radio is all we’ve got.   Last time I checked, 640 had a 1.6 12+ (and if you haven’t sipped from the PPM marketing KoolAid you know that’s about 5000 regular listeners - if they’re lucky).    As the guy who spent the majority of his radio career working sh*tty holiday shifts, I think shutting down was a fantastic idea.  It’s been a hard year for radio people;  there was no break from all the terrible stories.    Why not let everyone stare at a blank wall for a week and recharge.  

I know most people here are consumers and no longer working in radio, but eating that kind of crap every day will mess with your head - especially if you’re working remotely.  So, why would you ruin the holiday of even 1 of your lowliest staffers to make them pump out a product that virtually no one will hear or appreciate (or generate any money)? 

I get that you (RadioActive) are a radio super-fan.  And that’s awesome!  Your passion for it is evident.  But most people who listen aren’t.  And if someone happens to be stuck driving around on Christmas Day, I’m sure they probably appreciated whatever garbage 640 was running that day anyway.  And if they didn’t, there’s always Spotify.

January 5, 2022 12:47 am  #47

True, radio people deserve a day - and a lot more - off. But that's where the subs come in. They're people who work fill in, part time and they generally like making the extra few bucks that comes with toiling on a holiday shift. I'm betting those guys and gals really missed original programming on 640 as well!

But you're not wrong - there are plenty of other places to go. Still, if you're going to commit to a format based on current events and even promote yourself doing it ("We'll keep you hooked all day long!" goes one promo) you should at least pretend to honour that pledge. No matter how hard you try to justify it, there is simply no reason - none - for any station in a major market to take 10 days off in a row and offer their listeners dated programming, sometimes from as much as three months ago! 

Maybe one of the reasons they have only 5,000 listeners as you suggest is because they're not keeping the promise of their promos. If I hear a show from September at the end of December, talking about an upcoming election that's already been held, I'm not sticking around for that, either.

And somehow, with limited exceptions, their main competitor down the dial at 1010 managed to have fresh and live programming almost every single day, with the exception of the stats. It kills me to praise Bell, but they were far better than Corus on this occasion. And no one's cheaper than Bell, so they must have thought it was worth it. 

And oh yeah - not all of us have bought into the Spotify philosophy. I'm happily living without it, it's not local, and it doesn't cost me a cent. Which, come to think of it, radio doesn't either. 

January 10, 2022 2:26 pm  #48

At least last week 1010 had someone in the host's chair in the evening slot, after unceremoniously letting Jamil Jivani go. This week, according to the 1010 website, they're going with best ofs: One hour of the best of John Moore, one hour of the best of Bill Carroll, one hour of the best of Andrew Carter.

January 10, 2022 3:06 pm  #49

eladb wrote:

At least last week 1010 had someone in the host's chair in the evening slot, after unceremoniously letting Jamil Jivani go. This week, according to the 1010 website, they're going with best ofs: One hour of the best of John Moore, one hour of the best of Bill Carroll, one hour of the best of Andrew Carter.

Very odd. CJAD's schedule also shows various rerolls and CFRA's evening has no mention of this "brand new show, News Talk Tonight" with Dave Kaufman. Kaufman's tweeting like normal on his Twitter account including some guest co-hosting on trivia yesterday, so doesn't seem like he's down for the count or anything.

Was the show really that bad that they only gave it 4 days?

January 11, 2022 7:23 pm  #50

Looks like Jamil Jivani is gone from Bell. I see now that 610CKTB in St. Catharines, which carried his show, now airs Best of programming, of shows they don't even carry. From 7 to 10 pm, they have the Best of John Moore, Best of Bill Carroll and Best of Andrew Carter.